Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 PM

I strongly disagree with the #22 theory. There is no reason to ever go that small on the clinch. Most of the Blackfly larvae are #18 and the same goes for the midges. So why scrimp down to a ridiculously small fly which has a hard time staying connected with a fish of any size.

I can say with 100% certainty that I wore them out this morning just as I have for as long as I care to remember on a #18 CBPT.

If dries are your game then have at it, I rarely if ever fish dries as it just isn't my style and I like the mystery of who is on the other end when the yarn goes under.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:06 PM

BRF, Here is a good little book by Roger Lowe that details what is hatching for each month of the year and a good fly imitation for each for the Smokies. Good info., but I don't think you need to carry many flies for mtn. stream fishing. Adams,EHC PT, and maybe a few tellicos will generally suffice. Good presentations are much more important.
Figuring out what the fish are eating is part of the experience though, so don't rely on forums and books to teach you what is better learned by time on the water.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...cat=995&page=1
Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Great, thanks guys.

BRF
Old 07-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Well, tis your right to disagree - and we can agree to disagree, but after much side by hook hook matching from several years of random stomach pumps, the black fly larvae on average are that small - some midges as well. The larger olive midges that most have settled on immitating that come off and that most see are a good #18...and there are some honest to goodeness #32 out there too- NOW that would be ridiculous to fool around with...
BTW, I am speaking mostly of subsurface fishing - afterall, most of the time they do eat underwater, but every now and again, you'll see the risers and its another element of fun to chase them with a dry when they are eating topwater.
Whether top or under though, I suppose for some it would be difficult to handle #22 hooks - it requires a little finesse in the playing of fish - but one would be surprised what the "wider" gap of a T2488 hook can hold and daiichi scud hooks are a new favorite...once you get the hang of it and have some confidence in the ablilites, fish stay on just fine...a good trick though if one can't keep a hookset is to "short shank" a larger hook...take a size larger hook and tie a size smaller proportion body on it - for example a #20 hook, then a #22 body and so on...gives a little extra hook power...
Speaking of scuds - that's another one to have on hand for the Clinch, something in grey/olive - though since the rock snot, they've been less of an issue in certain areas- but with rising or falling water, a PT / scud-licious combo is a fun one to tie on...
AAAANND then there's the streamer fishing on a one generator two if your daring - but thats a whole 'nuther kettle of fish...

But as Gary points out, one shouldn't rely on second hand - go out and learn for yourself - thats half the fun and you'll find your own formula/path and what works for you...
Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 PM

You are right I know nothing about the Clinch, can you please teach me

Scuds, abound in the clinch as well as sowbugs, even with the didymo. In fact , it has been years since I have seen the benthic load in the clinch as healthy as it was this year. Best sulfur hatches since the mid 90's.

Listen to micro man if you would like but please take it from an old hand on the CLinch that you do not need to go to flies that small to have tremendous success.

BTW are you suggesting I do not know how to fight fish waterborn?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Chill Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
You are right I know nothing about the Clinch, can you please teach me

Scuds, abound in the clinch as well as sowbugs, even with the didymo. In fact , it has been years since I have seen the benthic load in the clinch as healthy as it was this year. Best sulfur hatches since the mid 90's.

Listen to micro man if you would like but please take it from an old hand on the CLinch that you do not need to go to flies that small to have tremendous success.

BTW are you suggesting I do not know how to fight fish waterborn?
Wolf,
From my interpretation, Waterborn said nothing about your skill level, nor anything about your abilities on the clinch. I have to agree about this years sulphur hatch and the abundance of mayfly nymphs in the 16 to 18 range. However, I as well consider the clinch my home water, and I have also had very good success in the past using size 20 and smaller midges. Not dries, but pupae and larvae. There is nothing wrong with having some of these midges with you in case you encounter finicky trout.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 PM

To each their own and if it works for you then by all means have at it. At the end of the day it is you casting and fishing it, and not me. If it works and you enjoy it, then it is not my place to care what you use on a daily basis.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 PM

I absolutely agree - and has been my point all along: to each thier own - something we all can agree on. Everyone finds what route they like,take, or what works for them in the enjoyment of flyfishing...that is what makes this sport so great. Just becasuse we all have our own formula for a particular water, doesn't mean its better suited than someone else's....your way, my way - who cares - it ain't better, and it ain't worse - if it works for ya, then thats just fine...
Micro Man? Resorted to name calling have we? Ouch!...Well, In my defense, I'm pretty sure I never did say you only had to have the small stuff to be successful, but again, it doesn't hurt to have something on hand..but for me, the zebra has replaced the vrib midge....the larger PT or Scud is still there.
I've had great times on the Clinch with flies from sizes #28 midge to 3/0 Puglisi - don't know to many micro guys who are just as comfortable to bang the banks with an 8wt and 250 grain sinktip and a 4" streamer when a buddy with a drifter says "Ihey're generating, I needed a shuttle and someone to row, so get in the boat!" ...

WaterWolf, you're obviously as just as passionate about flyfishing as I am and as much as anyone else on this board I'm sure - that's a good thing, maybe someday we'll be able to share some water together and compare notes sometime...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 AM

Probably shared the water more times together now then we know. And just a tip on the streamers, no need for a sink tip. In fact you will do 10X better without the sink tip, and one other thing of the 15 or so 25"+ browns I have netted or caught 1 came from the bank. Just something to keep in mind.