Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It's all lies, I tell you - there are no fish in these streams!
How right you are. In fact, there's not a fish within 100 miles of the Smokeys.

All you folks need to find another place to fish where there are actually fish in the water.

Oh, and, just because I'm a nice guy and want to help out my fellow flyfishers, I'll make the sacrifice and keep fishing in the Smokeys even though I knwo there are no fish to be caught.

I wouldn't want to contribute to over crowding on streams that actually contain fish.

No need to thank me, the knowledge that I've done such a noble thing to help out my fellow fishers is more than enough thanks for me.

Jeff
Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Dan, you are right. I'll tell the story quickly.

Steve Moore, the Park Service Fisheries Crew and TU volunteers were going to electroshock the 200 meter section of Abrams Creek below the confluence of Mill Creek and Abrams. A buddy of mine and I fished the section early in the morning before the fish count was to begin. We didn't catch a thing. I told Steve, the head fisheries biologist in the Park that we shouldn't expect to find many if any trout in that section based on our fishing experience earlier that morning. We stretched the nets across the stream at the top and bottom of the sample site. By the time the day was over we had captured over 500 trout and the largest was a 29" brown. That was back when browns were living in Abrams Creek. So, I humbled myself to fisheries science and never mentioned to Steve again what I expected from a fish sampling. However Walter tells this story to every Fly Fishing Beginner Class here at LRO and Steve mentions it when we are in a group together. I guess that's one thing I said that I will never live down. There are a few others too.

Byron
Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 AM

One thing I'll never quite be able to comprehend is how come I can be standing looking at a stretch of water that's a foot deep and as clear as drinking water and not see a fish? Now, I can see every rock, pebble, and piece of stuff floating in the water, but not see a single fish. Then, when my fly is drifting through the run, wham, a fish hits it.

These guys are great at camouflage. It's amazing.

Jeff
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
One thing I'll never quite be able to comprehend is how come I can be standing looking at a stretch of water that's a foot deep and as clear as drinking water and not see a fish? Now, I can see every rock, pebble, and piece of stuff floating in the water, but not see a single fish. Then, when my fly is drifting through the run, wham, a fish hits it.

These guys are great at camouflage. It's amazing.

Jeff
I've seen video on Youtube where a fish was POINTED OUT and I STILL couldn't see him. They are excellent at hiding.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:36 PM

He he. Thanks for the words of encouragement.. Good story, Byron.

I'm off to try again this evening, will try sub-surface if I see nothing rising (duh). Wife and Kid are off to the hay ride in the cove, which will give me a little more time to experiment.
..a
Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Byron,
How long has it been since browns were found in Abrams?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Spent three hours on the stream running besides Middle Prong Rd last night, starting about a mile up. I take back my earlier statement - yes, there are fish, I saw one in the deep pool besides the road on a bend that must have been 20" long! There were some smaller fish that would let me walk to within a few feet of them before the scurried away. They had no interest in anything I had to offer, however, no matter how much stealth I used. The 2-4" nibblers would snatch anything I dropped on the surface almost as fast as I could put it out there, but nothing of substance took the hook.

I'm beginning to think that these waters may hold rewards for the "serious" angler willing to hike a mile up to higher elevatations, but are no good for the "casual" angler who can't commit a day to this sport. Covering just 1000' of water in almost 3 hours, I can easily see losing an entire day..

I might need to schedule my fishing time separate to family vacations..
..a
Old 07-03-2008, 03:25 PM

efg,

Middle Prong can be a real tough stream to catch fish in the park. The fish are not as opportunistic as other places in the park. There are definitely easier streams to catch fish on, so don't get too frustrated. As you noted (and like many things) perseverance, practice and some hard work (hiking in) will pay dividends. The fish along the road see lots of people, but only the better anglers can catch fish there with much consistency.

An example for you from another current thread. During the fish-out on Lynn Camp (a tributary of Middle Prong) a few weeks back, two anglers caught almost half of the fish that were taken during the first 8 days of the event, even though over 100 people tried their luck! Most folks caught 0-2 fish...experience matters

Like you said, the fish are there...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."