Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 AM

Default Destin - June Grass

I am heading down to Destin a week from tomorrow. Anyone have reports on the June Grass? Is it bad since there hasn't been any storms come through? I have one guided trip scheduled but planniing on fishing the surf the rest of the week. Curious to know how the conditions are.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 AM

From what I've heard the June grass started showing up in Destin around June 8th. The stuff hangs around for 2-3 weeks or up to a month. The pompano bite should be the only bite to slow while its there. Go to www.pensacolafishingforum.com they will be able to give you current info on what the June grass is like if you ask. The bad thing is that even after it is gone, the beaches are still littered with it for a little while.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:45 PM

Default June Grass is a pain in the .........

I was down in destin last year, August 2-9th, tried my hand at surf fishing there. the "june grass" as it is known was still there then, it kept hanging up on my rig, 2 hook w/ pyramid wt., it really weighted down the rig and line as well, used 25lb. mono, this combo was like a grass magnet. maybe you'll have better luck than i. i ended up using gotcha plugs and jigs the rest of time there. only got 1 fish, a sea robin, about 10 inches. Guess at least i got one. Maybe it wont be so bad this year. best of luck to ya! looking foward to hearing bout it.
Mark <::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 PM

In addition to my first post, I've heard that this years June grass in Destin is not bad at all compared to what it has been in years past. I dont think you will have any problems at all. Surf fishing reports are still great.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks Assassin!

I am leaving Friday. I have trip booked Sunday. The last couple of years I have been doing both fly fishing and bottom fishing combo trips and it always goes well. Hopefully, I can get into some Bonita or Dolphin then catch a few Snapper for the grill.

I'll let you know how the surf fishes after next week.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Your welcome, good luck on your guided trip as well! I'll keep a lookout for your report on the trip.