Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default Little river canoe trip with son

Sunday the 6th I took my son and I for a canoe trip on the little river. John of River Johns took us up to Walland and we headed down stream the river was low so it took a while and that was fine. I brought a fly rod and Hunter brought along a spinning rod. Hunters spinning gear malfunctioned so I felt it was time to cut him loose with the 4 weight. He impressed me while there was a few cast in the trees and we lost several popping bugs we it was a blast. We both caught a verity of bass, brim and redeyes. My Son caught his fist small mouth and caught the big fish of the day. Sadly my camera is not working properly but did get one good picture of him with his first smallie.

Last edited by Redfish62; 07-10-2008 at 07:28 AM..
Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 AM

Good times! I enjoy every trip with my kids. Catching fish is a plus too!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Sounds like a good trip. My son floats with me on the clinch and he loves it. I have been wanting to float the little river for a while, but I haven't been able to get any good info about the float. I know you can put in at the mill dam, but where do you take out? I have a coleman crawdad, and it floats very shallow. Any info would be great.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Default Info for early bird

The river was low but not after todays rain, but you may have to get out to get over some gravel bars. River John's has a web sight and they are very nice outfit. They have a spot on the river where you can get out it is about 7 miles from the mill. You can park there and for a resonable fee they will take you to the mill dam and drop you off. It is a great trip down the little river it took us about 8 hours but we took are time stopped and waded out to fish and played around. Lots of Kentuky, small mouth, red eye and brim. I highly recomend it. I have included a path to there websight.

http://www.blountweb.com/riverjohns/
Old 07-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info!!