Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Little River 7/10

I hadn't had a chance to do any fishing this month the whole workin for a livin thing kinda gets in the way sometimes. I did get a chance to hit it for a couple hours this morning. I started on the main prong at around 7:00 A.M. and fished for around 2 1/2 or 3 hours. The water was a little dingy which made the wading kinda sketch but the fishing was spot on. I fished with a little larger flies than I normally fish with due to the water conditions and devoted a little more time to a streamer than usual. The streamer didn't produce but I felt like I had a chance at something crazy. I fished with a #14 beadhead prince trailed by a #10 beadhead pheasant tail. I caught and released several nice fish. The nicest was a fat 16" brown. It jumped three times during the fight and my fishing fix has been satisfied. My camera girl/wife was asleep in the car or my picture would be better but here it is. Just thought I'd share the story. Good fishing to All.

Last edited by jwebb541; 07-10-2008 at 02:45 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 PM

Old 07-10-2008, 02:57 PM

Is that the part of the river that follows the road up toe Elkmont? That's a nice fish!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Default 16" Brown

Congratulations on that fish! Don't tell anybody exactly where you caught it, they're in there, just not often caught. I heard a report several years ago of an estimated 100 browns per mile 16" or better. They are just very spooky!
Always good to lay the fish by your rod for perspective.
Thanks for posting it,
John
Old 07-10-2008, 05:08 PM

Thumbs up

Very nice Brown jwebb. I need to stick with nymphs more on the streams with brownies in them.

Neal

Last edited by pineman19; 07-10-2008 at 09:13 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM

That is one fine fish. It's ironic - I've never fished the roadside portion of Little River; on our trip last week, my oldest daughter wanted to fish it, but we ended up above the campground at Elkmont instead. Seeing a fish like this makes me wonder if we made a mistake - of course, my outfit is geared more toward the small streams - could you imagine landing a beast like that on a 2wt with 6x tippet?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 AM

ijsouth....it can be done....like you I fish with a little Orvis one ounce, 2 wt. and have landed a 14' brown up above Elkmont and a 16" bow over on the WPLP....in both cases I had plenty of room to move with the fish but on several occasions I have lost big fish when I didn't have enough rod to do anything but stand my ground and watch....them the chances you take!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Super fine brown!! Great way to break the fishing drought. That will definitey keep you going back.

Congrats on your catch!

Hal
Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
ijsouth....it can be done....like you I fish with a little Orvis one ounce, 2 wt. and have landed a 14' brown up above Elkmont and a 16" bow over on the WPLP....in both cases I had plenty of room to move with the fish but on several occasions I have lost big fish when I didn't have enough rod to do anything but stand my ground and watch....them the chances you take!
Wow...those are some impressive fish on light tackle. The best I've done so far on my 2wt are a couple of 10" rainbows - one from WPLP, one from Lynn Camp. The one on WPLP really gave me a fight - he was headed right for an underwater ledge, and almost made it. My kids said the 2wt was almost bent double.

I would like to target the bigger fish, but it's tough when our typical trip up there is only 2 or 3 days - I feel like we have to maximize our potential for success, so it's higher numbers of smaller fish, usually on the smaller streams. Perhaps one day, when the kids are all out of the house, I'll get to move up there full time, and I'll be able to devote the time to going after those big browns. I know it's sort of like what I've heard about musky fishing - there are a lot of days where you draw a blank.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb541 View Post
I started on the main prong at around 7:00 A.M. and fished for around 2 1/2 or 3 hours...

Okay, I'm officially confused. You say this was on the main prong of the Little River - which I would take to mean the East Prong somewhere between the Y and Elkmont...

But in your July One Fish per Month post you listed it as the Middle Prong.

Am I missing something here or did your fish just bi-locate? I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing that fish (really nice fish BTW) coming out of the Middle Prong... East Prong, no problem.

Gerry