Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 AM

Default First flies finished

I finally drove to Townsend to get all of my fly tying materials yesterday from LRO! I have anxiously been waiting for a while for this stuff to get all of this stuff together. Like a child on Christmas morning of course I couldn’t wait one more moment to get started so I immediately drove to Walmart and got a TV dinner desk, a lamp, plastic container to put all my stuff in, and a clamp on light. All of which I had found would make tying much from my research. After the first couple of green weenie’s that I tied, I knew that it was hooked. Just the thought of catching a fish on something that I constructed with my own hands gets my blood flowing. I also taught myself to tie the zebra midge, elk hair caddis, and a parachute sulphur dun all in my first sitting (in all fairness my “first sitting” was like 5 hours long). I am going to post pictures of my creations as soon as I can figure out how to get my camera to focus on such a small object. Any suggestions? When I was finished I had tied around 20 or so flies which saved me around thirty bucks or so if I had bought them. I have to keep reminding myself of the this fact to make me feel better about how much I spent on my equipment . But it was totally worth it!

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Thumbs up Just wait till you catch fish

Just wait till you catch fish with the flies you tied. The filling can't be beat.

Check out your cameras instructions and look for "macro photogaphy" it will have information on how to set your camera up for taking close up pictures of small objects.

And remember brim and bass will hit stuff like elk hair caddis and wooly boogers adds some fun to tieing.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM

When to go try out my first flies at tremont yeststerday and smoked um. I caught some where in the teens of rainbows. And just as you said Redfish "The filling can't be beat!" I fished my size 16 sulphur parachute pattern as my dry fly and droped my size 20 zebra midge variation about a foot below. Most of my fish came on the midge I think mostly b/c the fish where looking for a smaller dry, but I did catch a few on the sulphur pattern as it started to get dark. I tied a 8 last night on a size 18 hook and I'll give it a try thursday. I took some pictures of a few fish and posted them on my website at http://pimpmyfish.wordpress.com/gallery/ they will be the ones labled tremont rainbow. On a few of the pictures you can see my midge in the top of the mouth.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 07-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Keep tying and keep trying. It just gets better and better. I got my kit in 1993 fromPaul and Faye Hughes in Linville after reading an article about them in a magazine. My first class was with Frank McGee in Winston Salem. I've since attended several classes in the Piedmont. My greates thrill was catching a 19 1/2 inch rainbow on the Yellowstone on a Dave's Hopper I tied myself. I had showed the guide some of my early flies, he was kind enough not to laugh out loud. He told me to try the hopper. You going to enjoy it hte more you tie. I hope to get to LRO this year I.ve never been there. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Tight lines with bushes!

Hal
Old 07-09-2008, 02:07 PM

Its supposed to say tight lines without bushes> It shows you I can't type!!

Hal
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 PM

So if figured out how get the pictures to show up. So here they are.

zebra midge size 20

various nymphs

Z-wing caddis size 20

parachute adams variation size 18

zebra midges size 20

Parachute Sulphur size 16(top) 18(bottom)

Mixed

<>< John Zimmerman

Last edited by jzimmerman; 07-09-2008 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: formating
Old 07-10-2008, 07:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

Very nice job,
Now maby you can tell me how to get the pictures to show up.
I have made my fist attempt at posting photos and did not get it show up.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 AM

I posted a reply on your thread in the pictures section of the forum. Just let me know if that doesn't help and I we'll get it figured out.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 PM

Default New Ties

John - Really nice work on those flies. Way ahead of me. My flies are like my handwriting - No improvement since the 2nd grade. Monk