Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 PM

Default Southwest Montana

I am headed to this area in late July to fish the Madison, but also wanted to do a little hiking and fishing. So I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on where to go. I also would rather stay away from Yellowstone because of all of the traffic and what not. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

The traffic of Yellowstone is more than worth it if you've never been. I've been 100 times and I will go another 1000 before I die.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh10567 View Post
... I also would rather stay away from Yellowstone because of all of the traffic and what not.

Forgive my sarcasm....but my original thought was:

"Avoid Yellowstone....there's nothing to see there."

Honestly, I can't think of a better setting to hike and or Fish. I'll be out that way come September, and by then any traffic concerns have dwindled.

http://www.trails.com/AdvancedFind.a...&ZipCode=59735

Last edited by rainshaker; 06-19-2008 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM

Yeah I've been doing a little research and I was wrong about the whole crowd problem. I guess I'll just have to get up a little bit earlier. With that said what are the best hikes in the park with a little fishing also?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM

ajh10567,
early travel is good. And late. Slough Creek and Pebble Creek are good hikes with good fishing. I've seen some pictures from Hellroaring Creek and that looks like a place I would like to go. I will be in western Montana the second week of July. I can smell the mountains now.........

mstone
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM

Yellowstone is magic.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 AM

One last quick question, I am about to order some flies for the trip and I have been doing some research and there is such a wide variety of flies I could buy for this trip to the Madison so what are some basic patterns that are a must for the Madison river in late July to early August?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 PM

Default Flies for Madison

Why don't you call the Slide Inn or Blue Ribbon Flies, both are in Montana.
Probably find them by typing in the names of the shops.
I am not going this year, I am envious! If the water stays good (and it should with all the snow they had last winter!) do get up to Slough, those cuts are awesome. You will have to wait until the take and turn away to set your hook or you will jerk the fly away from them. Very deliberate risers!
Have fun,
John
Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 PM

Bob Jacklin has a shop in W yellowstone and his book, authored with Gary LaFontaine gives the list you want and a list of fishing. His sho along with mathews are good sources.

TAKE TIME TO SEE THE PARK. it is beyond description and in my mind a must see. This year is a good water year. The first one in nearly 10 years of drought.

The salmn flies are 1/2 way up the madison and have not started on the Yellowstone. For mid July for the hatch bring some #2 heavily weishted nymphs a brroks stone or aB*tch Creek and a dry in the same size.

Sofa pillow or Birds stone or some of the newer creations.

Search for a book on day hikes in the park well worth it.

Don't be bear bait or Bison fodder.

IREALLY CAN'T EMPHASIZE ENOUGH TO SEE SOM E OF THE PARK. I HAVE BEEN THERE 4 TIMES ALREADY THIS YEAR.

The key to traffic is to get up and on the road early and the rest are eating breakfast.

Butte irish
Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Get yourself a guide. We wouldn't have had half the success we had on our Missouri trip if we had not started with the guide. Even if its a half day wade trip, you will learn more in 4 hours than you would fishing the river for a week by yourself.

If you can't get a guide I would atleast stop in Blue Ribbon Flies and check out "whats hot". They would be more than happy to help you.