Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 AM

When I first started fishing in the Park there was a closed season from Sept. 15 to April 15 on all the water......there was still stocking going on and there was a hatchery station at what is now the Chimney's picnic area...this used to be a bustling campground as was Greenbrier back in the 60s.....all of the WPLP was a Sportsman's stream with regualtions that anything under 16" had to go back.....there used to be many a 50 fish day on this river....I only caught one fish there that was 16" and it wasn't until about 4-5 years ago....there used to be a large number of trout in there in the 12-14 inch range and it was a great place to go with just a spool of tippet and a fly box...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 PM

Default here we go again

I never said I caught more than I could carry I said I could catch more than I wanted to carry and this situation would have been over long before now but you kept trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill yes I broke the rules and released some fish back in the creek I did not commit a violant crime and if you dont know the difference between sarcasm and the truth well thats your problem my 1st cousin stopped by this evening hes a park ranger he said they started the poisoning yesterday so I dont think it really matters now anyway caught 108
Old 07-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Ok...it's time for this thread to die a natural death, but before it does, I think I need to clear some things up; looking back at my posts and yours, I think I could have expressed myself a little better - for that, I apologize. Also, as is typical in communication over the 'net, whether email, IM, or on a forum such as this, it has been my experience that a lot gets "lost in translation" because the other party isn't there, face to face. What I interpreted as sarcasm may have been off the mark.

Also, on one of my earlier replies, I referred to the mentality of a lot of fishermen down here in Southeast Louisiana; I was using that as a point of contrast to the attitude a lot of trout fishermen, particularly those who fly-fish, have in regards to keeping fish, etc...some people take the catch 'n release credo to an extreme, and think killing any trout is wrong - the point was, they are two examples on opposite ends of the spectrum. In a way, it's a bad comparison on my part, because the inshore saltwater fishery we have here is completely different from the beautiful, but infertile, Smoky Mountain streams. Anyway, the attitude the wasteful "meat hogs" we have down here was never intended to be applied to anyone on this forum, or for that matter anyone up there at all - it was just for illustration. Frankly, we probably should keep MORE fish than we do, under the normal regulations (of course)...it could only help the balance. I feel that I made a mistake by releasing an 8" rainbow I caught on Cosby just last week...I sort of instinctively released it, but I probably should have kept it to help the brook trout (it was fairly high up on Cosby, in what should be brookie territory).

As for my original point - following the rules...I respectfully maintain my position on that. I am also a golfer, and in golf, players are expected to call penalties on themselves, even if seemingly minor, like a ball slightly moved at address before playing. It might seem a bit anal, but I think, in circumstances like this, that the rules are important...'nuff said.

One last note - they're already starting the poisoning process? There was some confusion on just when they would be closing Lynn Camp - everything I've read online indicated sometime early in the Fall...just curious.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 AM

I should have expressed my self better also and should not have broken the rules I apologize to. I think my information was wrong about the poisoning cause no one knows anything about it sorry for bad info will try to find out what is going on. caught 108
Old 07-13-2008, 12:58 AM

Don't apologize for the timing of the closure; there have been all sorts of dates mentioned, here and in other places...frankly, the Park Service needs to do a better job of getting that information out...I just looked at the park's web site, and there is no mention of Lynn Camp closing at all, and frankly I don't remember seeing anything about the fishout either. There is a news release about TU donating a considerable sum for the restoration on Lynn Camp, but no mention of the date. The best information on it has been on this board...we decided to stay an extra day just because of the fishout.

Congratulations on the number of fish caught, and I know for a fact that it was no bs because when I checked in with my 10, they said someone had brought in 58. That is quite an accomplishment...I was happy with what I caught - for a variety of reasons, Lynn Camp doesn't seem to match up well with my style of fishing...horses for courses, as they say. Plus, we didn't go very far up - it's hard with my girls in tow, although my oldest has gotten pretty handy with a flyrod...I could have covered a lot more water if I was alone.