Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM

Default Interesting Day on Walker Camp Prong

My son and I hit Walker Camp Prong this morning, starting just above the circle overpass above the Chimney's trailhead. We fished from there up to the bridge over the creek coming in from the left, about 100 yards or so up from the where we went in. At that point, we had each caught 4, mine on BHPT and his on a dry (when asked what kind, he said "yellow and big"). They were not hitting my dries at all - go figure.

We jumped up a few hundred yards past the parking area on the right and I caught four more before we headed out.

Strange thing was that even that far up, everything caught was a rainbow. Andy saw one brookie go after his dry. While there were a number of fish that went after my dry/nymph rig that didn't take it, I couldn't swear that any were brookies. It appears that the rainbows have moved pretty far up in WCP.

To reinforce something Byron keeps saying in his fishing report, the water temp when we first got in was 57 degrees compared with 68 at the Y.

AFG, if you read this, someone told me that no one related to Auburn will be voting for Obama - seems he's just one "G" away from "Go Bama".

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-19-2008, 09:37 PM

I'm not surprised - I saw the same thing happen last year on Cosby. I picked up some rainbows where previously I had only caught brookies. This last time, I picked up an 8 inch bow in a pool the size of a large card table...no doubt he was king of that little area.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 PM

Two of my bows today were 10". Good size for any stream but particularly nice that high up.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 PM

Charlie
I love it! I will give you credit when I use that one!!!! Only 40 something days away from COLLEGE FOOTBALL! War eagle!

Sounds like you are becoming quite the nymph fisherman!

Rachel
Old 07-19-2008, 11:13 PM

Charlie,
Daniel and I were up in the same area last summer. We caught several nice 'bows and didn't see a brookie. We have yet to catch a brookie iGn the park. We hit some very nice ones in Yellowstone a couple weeks back in a little stream that reminded me of home. Blacktail Deer Creek is one that my 9' fly rod could easily span in most places but it was full of fiesty brookies. Our biggest one was about 10" the rest were in the 6-8" range.

Glad to hear you got into some fish.

I'm hoping we can get to the Smokeys in October. The Yellowstone trip pretty much drained the spare cash fishing account. Not sure if I can recoup enough to get to Townsend in October but we're going to try.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2008, 11:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

I fished in the Chimney Picknick area today for about 45 minutes and caught 6 on a Yellow Stimulator.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:39 PM

Rachel,
Desperation made me do it (nymph fish that is). Now I've got to force myself to do the same with soft hackles. I bought some back in the spring and have yet to give them a serious chance. BTW, I REALLY miss having Auburn as our first SEC game of the year - those were the days.

Jeff,
Holler when you get back to Townsend - maybe we can go stalk some wiley specs.

bartonca@hotmail.com