Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-20-2008, 11:28 PM

Default also skunked, except for suckers

went up to tremont on Saturday and skunked. except for suckers. tried dries, nymphs and various combinations. i'm still seeing good sized(6 or 8 ) stone flies crawling around the rocks up there and plenty of nymph exoskeletons(6 or 8 as well). this has been the first year i've had multiple trips into the park and caught fish. for years, just catching ONE was deemed a miracle. after eons of practice i've finally had multiple trips with multiple fish. stealth and just going have helped.
also, saw my first smokies smallmouth at tremont. up past where the pavement ends. about 14 or 15 inches in open, slow water along with several nice sized trout. in the middle of the day! bright sun and hot. weird. i fished above them from a ledge and they never budged, except the bass who took off for a shaded rock.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
Chicken!!

If you stick with it and get yourself one of these skittish mountain trout in skinny water, you'll be hooked on mountain trout for life!!

They're there... trust me.
Oh I'm hooked, but at around $300 in gas, food and lodging, I think I'll wait until the fishing is better.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
went up to tremont on Saturday and skunked. except for suckers. tried dries, nymphs and various combinations. i'm still seeing good sized(6 or 8 ) stone flies crawling around the rocks up there and plenty of nymph exoskeletons(6 or 8 as well). this has been the first year i've had multiple trips into the park and caught fish. for years, just catching ONE was deemed a miracle. after eons of practice i've finally had multiple trips with multiple fish. stealth and just going have helped.
also, saw my first smokies smallmouth at tremont. up past where the pavement ends. about 14 or 15 inches in open, slow water along with several nice sized trout. in the middle of the day! bright sun and hot. weird. i fished above them from a ledge and they never budged, except the bass who took off for a shaded rock.
Glad to know that even and expereinced angler can get skunked.