Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Default Short trip up Cosby

I fished about 2hrs up cosby this mourning.Fishing was'nt to bad considering as low as the creek is.The fish were bad scary I caught and released 14 Rainbows the biggest was 6 -1/2" most were 4"-5" with 3-4 being less than 4" caught 1 double 2 fish about 4" at the same time that is always cool.I Hung 1 descent fish 8"s or so but could'nt get my hands on him and missed about 7 more small fish.When I sat down and started rolling my window down Here came A Park Ranger out of the bushes beside the car AMBUSH Job Well done.He would have had me dead to rights had I been violating.I got out and talked to him emptied my pockets,showed him my license.He looked through my stuff nice fly's he said made sure my pockets were empty and pants legs untied.Asked if he could look in the car I said sure after looking in floorboards and under seats we talked some more and said good day.I like to see the Rangers doing there jobs.And enjoy talking to them. Good luck to all in all that you do. Sincerly caught 108
Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 PM

Too bad they weren't big enough...I think when the water gets low, the 'bows start heading up into brookie territory, and when they're sharing water, a lot of times the bows out-compete the specs for groceries. As I said before, last time I caught an 8 inch bow fairly high up on Cosby, and I let it go before I really thought about it - I should have kept it.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:51 PM

Caught 108,
Good report about Cosby. Glad to see the park service at work. I get chacked quite a bit when I fish this creek. sorry we could not hook up this weekend for a fishing trip. Maybe next weekend. It nice to see the fish are still active with the water so low. Did you hook any specs? If you get a chance give me a call. My daughter has been tying some flies today, hopefully I can post pics. pf them later today.

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-20-2008, 11:21 PM

No speckles today wasnt hardly high enough.I usually catch a few strays down low every year.I've only caught 3 speckles out of there all year [back earlier] all 3 were up next to rock creek.Two were 4"-5" one was Pretty Nice 7-1/2" fit right in with the four 7"-8" rainbows to finish a limit.I wish it would rain I would like to go higher and try them at least once this year they are very beautiful fish. Sincerly caught 108
Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caught 108 View Post
I fished about 2hrs up cosby this mourning.Fishing was'nt to bad considering as low as the creek is.The fish were bad scary I caught and released 14 Rainbows the biggest was 6 -1/2" most were 4"-5" with 3-4 being less than 4" caught 1 double 2 fish about 4" at the same time that is always cool.I Hung 1 descent fish 8"s or so but could'nt get my hands on him and missed about 7 more small fish.When I sat down and started rolling my window down Here came A Park Ranger out of the bushes beside the car AMBUSH Job Well done.He would have had me dead to rights had I been violating.I got out and talked to him emptied my pockets,showed him my license.He looked through my stuff nice fly's he said made sure my pockets were empty and pants legs untied.Asked if he could look in the car I said sure after looking in floorboards and under seats we talked some more and said good day.I like to see the Rangers doing there jobs.And enjoy talking to them. Good luck to all in all that you do. Sincerly caught 108
Had my license checked a few times. Never had one ask to look under the seats of my car. I'd be afraid they would call health services in because of the empty pop cans, fast food wrappers, chip bags, and dust bunnies. It would be somewhat embarrassing as he started pulling junk out.

Interesting that he asked. If you had said "NO" he probably would have cuffed you on the spot and looked anyway.

I guess if he was nice about it, no problem. Never had a problem with any park rangers or fish and game officers. I've never seen one of them with an attitude (Unless it was deserved).

Jeff