Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Mtn Streams

Anybody been in the GSM or Townsend since this hurricane just blew in in the past hour and a half? Just wanted to know how much rain they were getting since it was getting do dang low up there
Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

No rain in Waynesville as of yet, plenty of thunder rolling in. Be sure to check the fishing report in the morning as Byron usually posts the totals for Clingmans and Mt Leconte, that should give you a good idea.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Looking at the radar, it looks like the park is getting a well needed drenching, especially to the west of 441. This is very good news, hopefully it will rain for several days straight to kick the water levels up a notch. The problem is that it's so dry that the levels drop pretty quickly even after several inches of rain. It seems like some watersheds, such as the little pigeon and big creek, hold water much better than others like the little river and oconaluftee. We need a good solid week of rain to keep things up for awhile. Hopefully this is it!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I did the great circuit today...

Left Lowe's in Alcoa at about 1:30 and headed over to Sevierville to drop off flies to Ben at his shop. Sunshine the whole way but the weather report on the radio was talking about the freeways in Knoxville being flooded. Strange.

Continued on to the Orvis store in Pigeon Forge. The sky was clear, the temperature was up there, and the traffic reminded me again of why I never go to or through Pigeon Forge.

Nevertheless, after struggling through the ridiculous situation that we know as Pigeon Forge, I continued on to the Smoky Mountain Anglers shop in Gatlinburg. The weather was still clear and hot, the traffic slow and hindered further by the road work on the parkway between P'Forge and G'Burg.

Had a pleasant visit at Smoky Mountain Anglers (I would highly recommend stopping by when you're in the area), but unfortunately they were sold out of the Chota rain jacket I was looking for. They did, however, have a really good deal on the Chota pullover rain jacket so I grabbed one -- very lightweight, packable, and fits in my Fishpond Blue River fanny pack.

Continued on into the park and headed over to Elkmont. The water was skinny all over the park. The temps were high but the sky was still clear. Cut through Metcalf Bottoms where people were still trying to tube, and headed out through Wear's Cove. Weather was still clear and hot.

Going through Townsend, I noticed that there seemed to be a pretty good storm coming in from the southwest. Driving through Townsend, I was reminded of Byron's numerous comments on the early morning traffic jams... kind of hysterical considering the unbelievable traffic I had endured in P'Forge.

Heading back to Maryville on Hwy 321 (the main drag between Townsend and the civilized world), I really began to appreciate what they mean when they say "The peaceful side of the Smokies". I think this was the first time I'd ever driven both the Hwy 66 route into P'Forge and the Hwy 321 route into Townsend on the same day. No comparison. Hwy 321 you can actually drive, whereas Hwy 66 is just a very large parking lot. I am so glad I live on this side of the Smokies.

As I cleared "the cut" (local vernacular referring to the numerous curves between Walland and Townsend), I noticed that the storm coming in from the southwest seemed to be intensifying. As I approached the Parkway Drive-In (one of the few remaining drive-in movie theaters in the U S of A), the storm cut loose. I was nearly blown off the road by a particularly large wind gust. Barely made it back to the house before the storm completely blew. I was making an emergency run between the car and the house to retrieve a bottle of bourbon - I have my priorities - when lightning struck directly across the street!! Needless to say, I saved the Beam from the lightning strike.

Anyway, about ten minutes later the storm cut loose in East Maryville and headed toward the mountains. I hope they got as much as we did here in Maryville.

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 07-21-2008 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: clarity. it's what we all strive for...
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Default Rain and Fire

Got some rain in the cosby area along with a forest fire. They think lighting started the fire. Have not heard an offical word. Would like to see it rain for a couple of days...

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-22-2008, 07:56 AM

It seems like it rained everywhere but where I was. I stayed in my apartment a Camellia Trace "west maryville" and it barley sprinkled. It did lightning a lot though.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 AM

Perfect opportunity for some good fishin' and you blew it.