Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM

Default Tailwaters VS Rivers

Ok guys Im in a dilemma. I can go to just about any tailwater and end up having a good to great day. But every time I go to a river or creek I usually cant catch a cold. Is it me or is this a common problem. I know there are some things that are different like for rivers bigger flies and larger line and vice versa usually for tailwaters. Ive also heard that tailwater trout are more selective in what they eat and river trout will eat anything that looks good. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM

Tailwaters are rivers

I have always found, and the reason I quit fishing small creeks is that the fish were incredibly dumb and horribly small. I needed larger fish and smarter fish to feed my ego.

The two fish entirely different and take an entirely different approach. Each has their own nuances, and there isn't room on this forum to describe how to be successful on creeks every time you go.

My only advice is to keep trying, or just stick to tailwaters. I would say by reading your posts that your bigger flies and bigger lines on creeks is the problem. Try a #16 Thunderhead next time on a creek and see how it goes, or try some of the same nymphs you might use on a tailwater.

If you are fishing for stockers on Tellico or something similar, then know they are crazy and sometimes eat and sometimes don't. Egg patterns are lethal, as well as most beadheads.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 AM

Tailwaters and freestone are definately two different animals... one thing to consider is that temps are in a more consistant range year around relatively speaking in tailwaters vs the "extreme" ranges found seasonally in a freestone setting...so right now in the park or wild waters the lower elevations are a bit tougher what with the warmer temps and less oxygenation (there are a couple of exceptions though) with the low water...I personally like to find a mid to upper elevation stream this time of year or if I have to fish low, find some pocket water - in anycase, highstickn' pocket water can be a great way to find some fish. Fishing morning or evening or after a little bit of rain might bring out some fish as well...
I think on average that aside from distinct hatch, mountain trout seem fairly opprotunistic and adams (am a big fan of the thunderhead as well) ,elk hair,or pheasant tail pretty standard fare if presented properly can produce more often than not...though occasionally they can supprise you. I had a nice rainbow-big for its little upper elevation pocket, shun all the basics I threw at it and after watching it feed I figured - of all things- it was midging...sure enough, it hit a tiny tailwater midge (no, I'm not advocating that you need small stuff to catch fish in the mountains ) as soon as it hit the water...just goes to show ya sometimes you really don't step into the same river twice...but you can formulate a good idea where to start by gleaming what you can from others, even get out there and fish with a buddy with a little more experience - but ultimately be observant when you're out...watch the water some,turn a few rocks over check out the bugs, carry a thermometer and maybe even a stomach pump if you so choose and then keep a log of your trips - you don't have to be overly retentive, but you gather enough learning through your experiences to develop a system that works for ya and you'll have a reference for the future in a given sitution...
The great thing though, is that we have both types of water to take advantage of here in east tn...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM

After reading this post and the one blueraiderfan posted. I guess I am just the opposite. I find fishing in the park to be the equivelant of catching fish in a barrel. It's almost too easy at times. However it is the tailwaters that seem to throw me for a loop sometimes.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutAssassin View Post
After reading this post and the one blueraiderfan posted. I guess I am just the opposite. I find fishing in the park to be the equivelant of catching fish in a barrel. It's almost too easy at times. However it is the tailwaters that seem to throw me for a loop sometimes.
Guess you missed my post where I said the same thing. Park fish are idiots, they will eat anything I guess because they are somewhat starving.