Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-19-2008, 06:25 PM

Default Scouting Big Creek

Made a hike up big creek today with my gf and found a very nice area. The trail is fairly easy and follows the river the whole way which offers some nice views, plus you go by the insanely overcrowded midnight hole and mouse creek falls. We also went up swallow fork trail for a bit and had the opportunity to run very close to a couple deer. One deer was no more than 20 yards away from us and seemed to want to come closer until my camera scared him away. I fished for about 30 minutes and found the stream to be absolutely slam full of rainbows. I caught 9 and missed just as many. They were coming up to a size 16 yellow parachute fly with some wulff style hair on top to help it float. They were all small fish but the stream looked to be full of them.

All in all, we hiked about 12 miles today which is a good tune up for my hazel creek trip. Also of note, the stream had a rather unique surprise for me. The lower portion, as is noted in most books and websites, is very rocky and turbulent with a steep gradient, extremely large boulders, and some very deep holes. About 3.5-4 miles up, the stream seemed to flatten out and the it changed characteristics almost on a dime with a more pocket water look to it all the way up to the walnut bottoms campsite. I thought this was interesting since it usually happens the other way around. We are going back the first chance we get to try either swallow fork or gunter fork. I will post some pictures when i get them uploaded, no fish pictures but plenty of nice scenery!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

if you go up walnut bottoms trail ...about 5 miles to low gap....go up low gap about 250 yards or so...watch for a small path...graveyard with about 5 graves....not on park list so you get bonus
Old 07-20-2008, 07:11 AM

A shot of the midnight hole from eye level

Mouse Creek Falls

Swallow Fork Trail
Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 AM

Sam I hope you're writing down your vast knowledge of the "side trips" that aren't commonly known. It would be a loss if not.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Craig, did the fishing improve further upstream? I have always wanted to fish above Walnut Bottoms.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM

I didn't get to fish above walnut bottoms, although i'm pretty sure we're going back august 9th to fish that stretch as well as gunter fork. The fishing was good where i fished, i know that stream will hold some big fish no matter what everyone else says. Maybe no trophy browns, but i'm sure there are some 14" rainbows in there, the gradient of the stream produces some nice places for fish to grow that big.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I have seen several big Rainbows up there Craig....They are sly little devils though. I think you are better suited above Walnut Bottoms though.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 PM

Last time I fished up on Big Creek the lower end was slow. Did go above Walnut Bottoms the fishing was alot better. Caught several small fish. This was early last Spring. Some of my fishing buddies ride in on horse back and fish above the bottoms, they have done well this year. One of the guys caught a 11in. rainbow on a #12 Adam. They told me it was caught above Walnut Bottoms. Good luck if you get to fish up there and watch out for bears. My friends have seen a couple up there this year.

May God Bless You...

Bill