Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Loops, etc

Highpockets, I have used nail knots, braided leaders, braided connector knots, nail knot mono with a loop, whipped loops in the fly line, and other line to leader connections I can't recall. To be honest I can't tell a lot of difference in how the leader lays out. Rigged correctly and cast decently all will work well. Different casting styles may do a little better with specific rigs. Find what works for you. The direct nail knot/leader is hard to beat. Hear the Elk is fishing well. Monk
Old 07-25-2008, 03:31 PM

I didn't have time to get to some casting practice last night. Getting ready for an elk hunt instead.

Yes, at the dam and at Ferris creek and down from both the fish are biting. My favorite spots are pretty much void of fish so I have concentrated on these other spots. The last time I went to my private spot there were dead fish in the water and I caught only two (pretty fair sized) but no more.

Catching most on a wooly (olive, black or combo) and a zebra suspended under small yellowish dry fly, elk hair caddis works too.

Got some 4 wt line in the mail yesterday so i'm gonna pu tit on my 8 foot rod and see what I can do with it. Never fished with anything below a 5 wt.

thanks so much for th ehelp guys! Good fishing and God Bless
Old 07-28-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
When I cast (Iím right-handed) the fly-line lands straight and the leader/tippet lands at a 90 degree angle to the fly-line pointing to the right. The only way I can make it stop is to either cast by pulling the rod across my chest with the loop of fly-line going by me on my left side or by loading the rod and really pushing it out there which makes for a bad presentation.
Another possible cause: You're twisting your wrist clockwise (thumb moves to the left) at the end of the cast. That's why cross-casting stops it--your wrist is already turned somewhat to allow delivery over the opposing shoulder. If casting with the whole forarm only (no wrist movement allowed) stops it you've found your culprit.

The good news is you're good to go on curve casting.

Doug Frost
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 AM

funny but I thought about that. I can cast over an obstacle like nobody's business.

Update, I got out in the yard last night with a friend that admitted he ahd the same problem at one time and tried what you all advised. By stopping my cast earlier and then moving the rod forward as the line was about to touch down it seemed that everything worked better. I didn't have nearly the lag or angle in the leader. I sort of went forward with my cast and then at about 12 oclock started slowing somewhat and then sort of "bowed" toward the front to keep the line from whipping at the end of the cast. It really seemed to work. Now I just need an excuse to go to the river!

Thanks so much for the advice; this was driving me nuts!