Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Idaho/Montana 20-26 JUL 08

Met usual suspects in Missoula, SAT 20 JUL, for annual Western Trout Pursuit. All at one time from KY; one now in Atlanta and one in SLC, UT. Four still in LEX/LVL. My wife and I drove from LEX, as she met two wives and one friend for a week @ Glacier. Hit Kelly Creek in ID first, SAT thru WED am, and water was higher than usual. Had 600" of snow, 50', and there was snow on the ground as we went thru Hoodoo Pass going and coming. Met numerous folks who hit Kelly annually, like I try to hit Hazel Creek, and all said about three weeks early, but none expected flows to be normal at all this year. Camped near Cayuse Ck emergency airstrip, as water there a bit more managable, another 7 mi or so from Old Kelly Work Camp. West Slope Cutts, Cuttbows, and rainbows all feisty and very healthy. Fishing not quite what I had been touted, but undoubtedly due to bigger water. Could not imagine the trout concentrated in about half the water; will definately try to give it another try in a more usual snowfall year.
Drove to Great Waters Inn near Melrose on WED for floating the Big Hole on THU and FRI. Mark Lane runs a first class operation. Brent Taylor guided the float THU, and Bernard Keiley on FRI. Both were excellent, and can be found thru Great Waters. Big Hole was fabulous; big browns and rainbows in a beautiful setting. Again, would not hesitate to return here as well.
Skip Watson
Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 AM

Sounds like a great escape! Did you bring a camera?