Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Default Tips for Quality Flies

While not a techinal tying question I do have one to pose to all you that do tie your own flies....Since I am only able to fish for trout a couple of times a year I have not ventured into this aspect of the sport....I live in Florida where when I say trout most people think I mean a spotted sea trout or the really old timers think I mean a large mouth bass....my question is when one goes out into the retail world to look at trout flies what are some tips to look for to make sure you are getting quality flies....while I generally pick up my supplies at LRO I will sometime stumble across a shop or store that has offerings....the reason for this query is that they recently opened a Sportsman's Warehouse in my city and they have three large cases of trout flies for sale...89Cents a fly if you buy a dozen or more....there hasn't been a freshwater trout in this neighborhood since the last ice age....no idea why they are even offering these up down here....
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM

If I was buying from a big box store like that I would take my time looking at the flies offered. Proportions of wings, hackle, body and tails would be my biggest concern along with making sure they didn't skimp on colors. You will probably see the common flies offered, while uncommon flies may not be shown. I always think you get what you pay for in most things. I envy you fishing in the saltwater. So keep us posted on your trips.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
...while I generally pick up my supplies at LRO I will sometime stumble across a shop or store that has offerings....the reason for this query is that they recently opened a Sportsman's Warehouse in my city and they have three large cases of trout flies for sale...89Cents a fly if you buy a dozen or more....there hasn't been a freshwater trout in this neighborhood since the last ice age....no idea why they are even offering these up down here....
Rog 1,

To answer your question effectively I think you'd first have to determine season (time of) and place you plan to fish for Trout with a fly....after you do that then you can begin to select specific patterns that will work for you.....I guess you could do it in reverse....let your new flies determine when your next fishing trip happens......my thinking is if you bought a bunch of ...Let's say....Beatle or Hopper patterns then that particular pattern might not be an effective Smokies fly for Feburary or March regardless of their price.....

I'm still learning myself, but just to generalize...

1)Proprtion / hook size
2)Colors used / proper pattern
3) Basic issues / excessive glue or brittle materials