Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-04-2008, 04:02 PM

I recall seeing something that looked like a concrete or rock footer stretching across the stream with a pool behind it. It looked like someone could have built a dam above / on it. It was about 1 mile or maybe a little less above the cascades.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM

That's in the area where the one I am referring to should be....not sure about the concrete footer....my guess would be a rock base with timbers....makes a nice quiet pool above it....
Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
That's in the area where the one I am referring to should be....not sure about the concrete footer....my guess would be a rock base with timbers....makes a nice quiet pool above it....
Yep, must have been the place. The rock base looked too "perfect" to be natural. Someone put it there so I guess that was the base for one of the dams. Caught some nice fish in the pool too.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 AM

I think you found it...I have probably caught more fish just below the "dam" than in the pool above it.....but just arriving at that point elevates the senses and anticipation.....I am sure just about everyone on this board has a pool or spot on there favorite streams that just screams fish me to them and is etched into their memory as the place to be in regards to that piece of water.....
Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 PM

As an aside, I bought Last Train to Elkmont this past weekend - facinating book! One of the things that was really cool for me personally was the chapter (all of two pages) on Sam and Alva Henry. The Henrys were members of Campground Methodist Church in Townsend when my Dad was pastor beginning in 1959 (I was 7 at the time). Sam Henry was the lay leader of the church. Seeing their picture in the book really brought back some fond memories.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 AM

I absolutely loved that book....in my early years when you could drive up to the forks of the river above Elkmont it was not such a haul to get up to Goshen Prong....in reading this book they talk about cabins up that high and how they took the trains almost to the upper ridges....I still have an old railroad spike that I carried out from the Fish Camp Prong up beyond its fork with the Goshen Prong....it is hard to conceived that most of the forest where we fish today was once clear cut to nothing.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 PM

One image that really resonated from the book was that, after the tall timbers were harvested, the landscape was taken over with the brush that we all have to bushwack our way through now. It's incredible to think about moving between prongs standing upright and walking among tall trees rather than fighting our way through sometimes impenetrable thickets of rhodendendron and the like. One can imagine fishing several streams in a single day simply because of increased mobility from one spot to another.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM

It is amazing what a jungle those rhodo thickets make....and it is not just walking from one prong to another....there is a spot up Little River above Elkmont where the river splits and there is a dry bed between the sections...I once tried to bushwack back to the road from the far side....and I reiterate the word once....if I had broken a leg back in there I seriously doubt if anyone could have ever found me.....