Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Gar Patterns

Could someone recomend a few fly patterns to attract gar? Either shortnose, longnose, or spotted. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Here's some, and there's more info here........

Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Default Thanks

The Chattanooga Times Free Press also published an article on catching gar 8/03/08. It put me on some lures I made from nylon rope for both spinning an fly gear all hookless. They seem to be active at might and I will go hunting for them soon.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 PM

Take a piece of rope, and run a barbed streamer through it. The most important thing is to let the gar chew on the rope to get tangled. They will eat anything, good news is they are the dumbest fish in freshwater, period. Strip anything past their face and they will snap at it.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:38 PM

I like to use extremely long flies 5-7in, sparsely tied on a 1/0 saltwater hook or stinger hook. The best colors I have had luck with are red, purple, white, and chartreuse. You want the fly to ride on top or just a couple of inches below the surface. Always make sure that your hook is sharp because you have to penetrate their bony noses. Also when setting the hook use a strip strike rather than just lifting the rod. I am not a big fan of the rope flies without hooks. If some how the gar breaks you off with the rope in his mouth, in most cases it will die. Any ways with a hook the gar as a chance of escaping unharmed and hooks come out a lot easier than rope once the fish has been landed.
tight lines
Travis