Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 PM

Default Toccoa / Elk River report

Over the past couple weeks... fished the Toccoa tailwaters in Blue Ridge, GA as well as the Elk near Winchester, this past weekend ... Caddis imitations has been the ticket, especially in the morning hours. We didn't get any "real monsters" at either locale but we did find plenty of eager Browns and Rainbows willing to rise-up and take a # 16 EHC.....always fun casting a "dry" over a hungry fish

....Partridge and Yellow might be another good option.

tight lines
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the report! We are headed to the Elk this weekend. Temperature supposed to only be in the upper 80's...yea!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:10 PM

Sounds like a good way to spend a weekend...let us know how you did!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 PM

Rainshaker,
We fished the Toccoa this weekend too. It was my first time.Floated to Curtis Switch from the dam. Long float if no generation. We did pretty good on stimulators and griffith gnat's. Caught two really nice fish and the rest were average. Nice stream though.

mstone
Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Rainshaker,
We fished the Toccoa this weekend too. It was my first time.Floated to Curtis Switch from the dam. Long float if no generation. We did pretty good on stimulators and griffith gnat's. Caught two really nice fish and the rest were average. Nice stream though.
It was totally new for us as well. It reminded me alot of the Clinch the way you could wade all the way across. We started at the head waters, but soon abandoned that idea after we saw the water temps tapping 72 degrees .

As I mentioned, we caught several average-sized bows using #16 EHC ...a couple using a dropper. We hope to get back down there soon and explore further. My guess is the headwaters will come back to life in the early spring.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:03 PM

Rainshaker...
We had great trip to the Elk yesterday. The weather was FANTASTIC! It was 59 degrees when we got to the dam and I don't think it made it out of the 80's all day. Fishing was good at the dam. I hooked up with 6 before we left on our float downriver. We had fun day. Sometimes the fish cooperated...sometimes not, but as most people were saying....beats being at work!!
I posted a pic of one of the rainbows in the August fish of the month section.

Used BHPT's and a little grey midge all day long.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:50 AM

Great....thanks for the report, I'll check out the pics