Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Camping and Trout fishing in the Blue Ridge area (North Georgia

my wife and i will be making our way through north georgia and was wanting some info on good spots to camp and do some fly fishing. in my research i have found the toccoa river to be a good spot but have also seen a couple of campsites that are right on some creeks and streams; Cooper Creek for one.

has anyone ever camped or fished this area? we will probably set up for about 3 or 4 days, so maybe traveling a bit to fish wouldn't be out of the question. we are just looking for some good fishing and a campground that is rustic and not an outdoor holiday inn if you know what i mean.

thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Not great news recently

Just received a newsletter from Unicoi last week...you may want to check out their stream reports. Sounds like some high water temps and and low water levels are giving them fits. They reported a cutback on stocking in lower elevations, even shutting down some of their Trophy Sections for a while. It also looks like Dukes Creek Smithgall woods is only fishing morning sessions. I know the Helen area is not necessarily Blu Ridge, but Unicoi knows North Georgia.
They say tailwaters are best bet, and some luck in higher elevations. Not sure when you're going... but a little research may salvage a day 'o fishing.

Just my opinion...I could be (and usually am wrong)
Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 AM

Default Blue Ridge

We were down in Blue Ridge, GA a couple weeks ago and found the head waters of that reservoir to be hitting 72 degrees or better. We fished the Toccoa tailwater section had good luck with #16 Elk Hair Caddis

Unicoi outfitters has a second location in downtown Blue Ridge, I'd make that my first stop.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 PM

thanks for the info, guys. i will be making the trip around the first week of october, say around the 7 or 8th. hoping that makes a little bit of difference with the conditions. i will be sure to make contact with unicoi before heading out.

probably not the right place to ask about camping spots, but any info there would be great also.

thanks again...