Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-10-2008, 12:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default Saturday in the smokeys

Started out above alum cave parking lot saturday around 10, and was really suprised how hard it fished! I caught fish, most of which came on a size 18 parachute olive, but I sure didnt catch fish from every hole like you can on some days. Only one fish up there was brookie... It seems to me that Im catchin less and less brook trout up there. Any one else notice this or is it just me?
Went to the Little below the turn off for Elkmont around 1:30. I seemed to catch fish from everywhere! All the shallow riffles held fish, and most of them held quite a few. I caught 4 from one little run barely over ankle deep! No big ones, but I did complete the slam in that stretch, which is always great. The fished just seemed especially eager to anything that came by, especially my strike indicator!
Old 08-10-2008, 01:06 PM

If you want them to stop biting, just let me come up for a few days.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Default Same Deal

2weight,

Check out my post from earlier this month (08/01 Walker Camp Prong). Caught nothing but bows in the same area where you were. But on the same day, flyyak had a different experience (Brook Trout Coloration). Go figure.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM

Smile Rain and Brookies

In thinking about the why I caught brookies verses rainbows on my two trips to Walker Prong, the only real detail that stands out is water level. I fished Walker Prong the day of or the day after 1 inch + rains. I have noticed recently on North River that in the low water conditions that I have only caught Rainbows in fast moving pocket water. I fish a 3 weight with at least a 10 foot leader with 6x tippet. I hope to spend a week in the Smokies in September and plan to fish up high looking for specks.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM

Flyyak,

I could buy your theory except that we were there on the same day, one catching bows and the other catching specs. Let me ask you this, what were you using to catching the specs? I caught all my bows on a BHPT nymph. If you were using a dry, that might account for a difference in type of fish caught. Just curious.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 AM

Smile Yellow Stimulators

Except for an occassional green weenie, I have fished nothing but yellow stimulators, yellow caddis, and yellow parachute adams for the last six weeks. I caught 15 bows last Thursday on yellow caddis and yellow adams. I could not get the fish to a green weenie. I am a slow ,lazy fisherman that wanders upstream fishing small pocket water areas. I ran into a kid ( around thirty) last Thursday that was catching Specs up high on Royal Wulffs. I have no real idea what motivates the fish. I just know that stealth and good casts with no false casting is absolutely essential to success.