Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Tellico Report

Gaintfish and I headed up to Indian Boundary Camp Ground Friday. Nice Camp ground. Set up camp and headed for Meadow Creek, right now it should be called Trickle creek, very, very skinny water. Decided to drive over to Scyamore Creek, As we were getting rigged up an old fellow told us that the stream was closed until Saturday, I told him I didn't think it was a stocked stream, but he insisted that in was closed. I decided that there was other water to fish, so better not to take a chance. Headed over toward Bald river looke too skinny so I decided head back to the North River and promptly got lost way back in Banjo Land. Finally ended up on 68 south way below Tellco Plains. Finally get back to the North River around 7:30I caught 2 nice Rainbows on a bhpt and several creek chubs, Gaintfish Caught his 2nd mountain trout. the action was just picking up when I looke at my watch 8:45pm and the campground gates close at 10:00. decided to drive out the North river road to the sky way. WRONG 1hr later we pull into the campground, 15min to spare. That is by far the long way to go. Got up Sat morning and headed back to scyamore Creek, skinny skinny water Caught 2 rainbows missed several on a yellow stimulator. They were very easy to spook in the low water. Came back out ate lunch then headed back to the north. Caught a real colorful brown and some more chubs and war paints. Should have gone to the GSMNP but decided to give it a try. The campground host said that they have not had any rain in a few weeks. I just figure that being south of the GSNP that they would have gotten more rain.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 AM

Man, i love that area & riding around on all the back roads, you don't have to worry bout city slickers stopping to look at chipmunks might have to keep your eyes open for a logging truck though

Grumpy
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 AM

That was the first thing my son said. No tourist and very little traffic. This was my third trip this year and as long as you stay off the stocked streams you pretty much have the steam to yourself.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Vern I think that guy might have wanted Sycamore to himself! I may be wrong but the only water in that area that is closed due to stocking is Citico, Tellico, and the little pond (cant remember the name) just over the mountain from Green Cove. Glad ya'll had a good time, it is definately a place you can find some solitude.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 PM

Yea it's now one of my favorite places. Because the main rivers are closed on Thursdays and Fridays there is hardly anyone up there. I have never fished the bald, but if it had a little more water it looks like good fishing. I do have one question? Why is it you can spot a fly fisherman a mile away with all the gear we carry etc. But all the spin fishermen had maybe a vest but most of them had a tackle box sitting on the bank beside their bucket. I fished the whole week end with only 4 or 5 different flys, why do I feel I need a fanny pack with 3 boxes in it, three different kinds of floatant. When all I need is one small box and one bottle of frogs fanny, nippers (but teeth do work) one or two spools of tippit. I keep thinking I am down sizing but maybe I need to bite the bullet and go even more.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 PM

yep, 1 box, nippers, spare leader, tippet, flotant, then there's that backpack with essentials, the 'i hope i never need this stuff".

Grumpy