Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 08-13-2008, 07:00 PM

Default St. Croix custom rod

Howdy,

I was working in Utah this summer, Fly-fishing and conducting creel surveys in the wasatch national forest on high alpine lakes. While interviewing a fisherman and taking measurements on a fine 16in. brookie, his dog decided to take a run right through my 7 ft. 6in custom rod that my brother built for me years earlier. I have now recieved a peice to fit my rod. I was wondering if Little River would help me re-wrap it, or if anyone could suggest where to go to get it done. I don't want to send it off, I would rather wrap it myself in order to keep the "value" of being a hand built rod, from me and my brother now. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

UTKFlyFisher
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 AM

Default help!

if you don't mind it being shipped off, I would reccomend taking a few hours reading through different folks threads on RODBUILDINGFORUM.COM there is a fellow on there that goes by Whirknot, he is one of the most incredible rod builders I've seen! But I'm sure that would be the proper place to start! If you were looking to do it on your own I would reccomend practicing on a cheap blank before attempting the good rod! I would also get with your brother and ask about what type of epoxy he used and what type of thread he used to wrap it...It could make a load of difference! I know nothing about rod wrapping but I've read enough to know that different epoxy's and different thread will come out different colors once wet or when dry!

Good luck in fixing that rod!

~Brett