Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-14-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Fishing info needed

I will be arriving in Gatlinburg on Saturday and will be looking to do some fishing. I will probably have my wife and daughter tagging along for a little while. I need some suggestions on areas to fish that aren't right along the road, but aren't too tough for a 6-y.o. girl to hike to. I will probably get the chance to head off without them some as well. If anybody wants to do some fishing, let me know. Shoot me an e-mail at travis.wilson@suddenlink.net. I will be there from this Saturday afternoon until next Friday afternoon.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

I would recomend the middle prong at the end of the road at Treamont. Nice trail near the water and a likely place to catch fish and have a nice walk.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Closer to Gatlinburg would be Little River above Elkmont. Really nice trail with benches for spectators to sit on above the stream. And when they don't want to hang around and watch any more, you can go as far up LR as you're willing to go (after Tuesday, I would say the further the better). Beautiful trout stream. And an interesting place for non-fishers to explore with all the old cabins - can't go in them but fun to look at.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Another place close to Gatlinburg is the Sugarlands area of the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River (WPLP). There is some nice water upstream of the stone bridge that is directly across from the Sugarlands visitors center. There is less gradient to the stream than in the areas around the Chimneys Picnic Area. You can also fish downstream of the bridge to the G'Burg city limits. There is an easy walking trail along both of these sections as well that your daughter will enjoy walking on. Lots of old homesites and history in the Sugarlands area as well. Sam Mac might chime in with some additional info if he sees this post.

Enjoy,

Neal
Old 08-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Im with Nvr2L8, fish the little river trail above elkmont campground. Nice wide flat trail so the youngster and wife wont have any problems covering some distance with you, plenty of benches, and great fishing.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:50 AM

You can also head over to Porter's Creek in Greenbrier...Park at the trailhead and walk back down the road as far as you want to fish....small water with a lot of plunge pools and pockets....
Old 08-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
You can also head over to Porter's Creek in Greenbrier...Park at the trailhead and walk back down the road as far as you want to fish....small water with a lot of plunge pools and pockets....
I agree, Porter creek is a nice small stream with easy access to some pools along the jeep trail. I was up there last week with the wife doing a little hiking and visiting some of her relatives gravesites. its one of my favorite areas of the park and you rarely see anyone fishing.
Nice little pool along porters creek

Several pre-park cemetaries in the area.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for the info. I will be heading that way first thing in the morning. I am looking forward to finally getting to do some fishing in the GSMNP. I will post a report shortly after I get back home. Thanks again.