Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-17-2008, 10:49 AM

Trevor,

Thanks for setting me straight. Now I can sleep tonight :-)
Old 08-17-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Come on, Buckeyes!

Where yat, guys? The big exception to Trevor's rule is The Ohio State University. Or if your from East Tennessee, you visit the Walmart (though not the Target).

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM

I'm getting a HEADACHE!!!!!!!! It's all my fault...........I know :-(
Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 PM

I moved here in January from MS. Used to lake fishing. This is quite a culture shock fishing up here to my wife and myself. We have been going everyday this week. I am using an artificial little jig. Caught my first 2 rainbows today. What a rush. trying a few different things figuring it out. Think I will be swapping to a fly rod in a few weeks. Gonna stick to the minicast right now. May try live bait tomorrow. Any suggestions.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Gatlinburg Chill Band--Just to be sure you know, bait is illegal in the Park. Although it has been many decades since I used bait for trout, for bigger fish it is mighty hard to beat spring lizards (what locals call salamanders), and this time of year red worms are a good choice. If I had to pick a single bait for trout, it would be "nests" (larva from wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets), but I've got a better idea. Go ahead and get that fly fishing outfit and start using it. The sooner you do so the sooner you will take the first steps of a marvelous transition in your approach to fishing.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
P. S. I spent much of my career in the academic world, but the general tenor of this particular thread left me shaking my head. I would make one point. Somewhere early on an entry from Wikipedia was cited as if it was gospel. In truth Wikipedia is woefully unpredictable and often inaccurate--anyone can post an entry in it.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
...Or if your from East Tennessee, you visit the Walmart (though not the Target).
Yep, Charlie, its the Walmart.

I've been fortunate to get to work for a company in Northeast Tennessee for many years. It was once part of Eastman Kodak Company until being spun off as Eastman Chemical Company. Throughout the many years however, I and many others up that way referred to the company as simply the Eastman, or even more commonly, Theastman.

JF
Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM

Ever notice how many businesses spell Smoky Mountains as Smokie Mountains....named my first lab "Smoky" and was registered that way with AKC...but everyone wanted to spell her name "Smokie"....having been raised in a family of locals from Sevierville we just call them "the mountains"
Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Common usage when referring to geographic places where the noun is generic is to include the "the". So we say, "I prefer the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific" rather than "I prefer Atlantic Ocean to Pacific".
Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Question Did you use your fingers or your toes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
Fishermansfly,

Yep, your right!!!!!!!!!! Counted every one of them!
Sometimes I run out of my 10 fingers and 11 toes and just have to say it "a whole lotta"

Not that I care but it shouldn't be like the heading of this board that says ""The" Great Smoky Mountains. Smoky National Park sounds lame.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:09 PM

Technically, the official name is "Great Smoky Mountains National Park." But, whatever we call it, I think I'll just fish it tomorrow.