Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM

Yep the brookie is the only true strain of trout(char) in the state, if a brown/bow is the result from a spawn on a TN river, i'm calling it a native, after all, i was born here & my birth certificate says i be one

Grumpy
Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM

[quote=Worrgamesguy;56868]Brookies are char, browns are actually trout. I know that much.

[quote=waterwolf;56863]

I've been trout fishing since I was two, so that makes me a trout fisherman of 16 years and I didn't know half of the stuff I know know because of this forum. You guys are awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligan trout degree View Post

Yeah, I started fly fishing about 2 months ago and have only caught 3 trout that I was able to get to hand. I had dozens of hook-sets and much more misses, enough to make me sick when thinking of it. Trout are beautiful, I've caught some pretty browns, that I thought were native until today. Kinda makes me sad, but I'm glad I know now that way I don't get laughed at when I talk about fishing.
Hey, you know a lot for an 18 year old! Keep up the good work
Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Citico, not citigo, the latter sounds like a gas station

In all seriousness,

I never said that a "Brook Trout is a true trout". Those are words which you are trying to put into my mouth. Salmonid is the name of the brown trout family, and more specifically salmo trutta. I am no fisheries biologist and never claimed to be, the genetics of most trout in our rivers are so twisted it is like an Appalachin family tree.

To the best of my knowledge the only true remaining Southern App. brook trout in East TN reside in Tellico and Citico Tribs. When Ian and I fished for them all the time I am pretty dang sure that nowhere else in this state do they exist in their pure form.

I am also fairly sure that most of NE TN is void of any Brook Trout exclusive waters. Everything has been tainted by non-native exotics.

The waters in the park were decimated by much of the logging and the original strains were lost and restocked with Northern Strains. At least this is what Steve Moore with the GSMNPS told me while doing Acid Deposition stuff 15 years ago. Different info may have been found since then, however.

If someone is new to trout fishing it is completely understandable that they would not know these things. Heck there are people on the Clinch who have fished it for 30 years who think those fish are native. Also native and wild are confused all the time.
I th ink he may have been responding to my post about what is and isn't a true trout. I had mentioned that I thought a brown may be a char in an earlier post. Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I th ink he may have been responding to my post about what is and isn't a true trout. I had mentioned that I thought a brown may be a char in an earlier post. Just a thought.

BlueRaiderFan, you're right on about what I meant. I wasn't going to bother correcting waterwolf though, he seems to be pretty confident in his own judgement and I'm not out to burst anyone's bubbles.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Yeah, it's hard to tell exactly what people mean on these boards. I joked around for a few threads the other week about not catching trout above Elkmont (I wasn't really that upset about it after the first post or two) and some guy is calling me a "whiner" now. I think I may have to just stay off of these boards.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milligan trout degree View Post
BlueRaiderFan, you're right on about what I meant. I wasn't going to bother correcting waterwolf though, he seems to be pretty confident in his own judgement and I'm not out to burst anyone's bubbles.
Burst it, you won't be the first and certainly won't be the last. I am man enough to admit if I was wrong, which is more then can be said for most.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Burst it, you won't be the first and certainly won't be the last. I am man enough to admit if I was wrong, which is more then can be said for most.

I hear ya man.

tight lines,

Ben