Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Default brook trout streams

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a few good brook trout streams on the Tennessee side of the park? I am going back to the Smokies in the middle of October and I would like to target brook trout on the trip. Thanks for any ideas.

Daniel
Old 08-17-2008, 03:06 PM

Any high elevation such as a mile or two above Treemont or Elkmont etc.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:13 PM

Daniel,

Two streams on the Tennessee side that are 100% brookies are Road Prong and Sams Creek. Road Prong merges with Walker Camp Prong at the Chimney Tops trailhead just off Highway 441 between Gatlinburg and Cherokee to form the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River. Sams Creek empties into Thunderhead Prong which empties into Middle Prong of Little River on the other side of the park. Sams was just opened up for fishing again in May after a 5-year brook trout restoration project. You can also go up Walker Camp Prong higher up where, at some point (higher than before), the rainbows give way to brookies. If you are going to try Walker Camp Prong, I would get in higher than the Alum Cave Bluff trailhead to Mt. Leconte.

Just keep in mind that the lack of rain this summer has been harder on the streams on this side of the mountains than the Little River watershed.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 PM

I fished at the Chimney Tops trailhead today looking for some brookies & caught 8 bows in a few hours. No brookies! Probably should have gone higher up into Road Prong I guess. But had fun with the bows!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 PM

Shaggy,

This time last year, I was catching about equal numbers of brooks and bows in the streams around the Chimney Tops trailhead. This year, I have only caught one brookie at that elevation - everything else was bows. The streams they are a changin.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

I have been fishing the Chimney tops a lot lately, I have been catching brookies but way out numbered by bows. This past Friday I hit the chimneys and cuaght nothing but bows had one 11" and one 12" if you are set on brookies on the TN side I woud consider Megs it is a good hike but your I believe you best bet. Water is getting low the lac of rain is starting to show.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM

Thank you for all of yall's ideas.

fly fisherman DK
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 PM

The upper portion of Cosby - anything from the campground on up, is dominated by brookies. Don't expect any monsters, but you can catch a bunch in the 5-7 inch range. I've heard a lot of good things about Indian Camp Creek, but I've also heard some horror stories about break-ins to parked cars at the trailhead.