Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

I have been fishing the park at least once a week and sometimes 2 times a week since March. There are plenty of little bows and some places like the west prong are chuck full. This past Friday I fished Deep Creek and it was loaded with brookies. But over all I have cuaght a lot of fish and more really nice fish than ever. 8" bows have not been hard to come by and I have caught some nice browns and have seen a couple of monster browns but stealth has been so important. I have spoken to rangers in the park and the bioligist claim that the population is very high and taking fish out would be good.

Over all I have had my best year so for regarding size and quantity. So what ever is going on the fish do appear to be thriving.

Calvin O'Hern
Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish62 View Post
I have been fishing the park at least once a week and sometimes 2 times a week since March. There are plenty of little bows and some places like the west prong are chuck full. This past Friday I fished Deep Creek and it was loaded with brookies. But over all I have cuaght a lot of fish and more really nice fish than ever. 8" bows have not been hard to come by and I have caught some nice browns and have seen a couple of monster browns but stealth has been so important. I have spoken to rangers in the park and the bioligist claim that the population is very high and taking fish out would be good.

Over all I have had my best year so for regarding size and quantity. So what ever is going on the fish do appear to be thriving.

Calvin O'Hern

Yet, I still get skunked...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 AM

BlueRaiderFan,

Next time you go to the park hit up west prong it is one place that is just about imposable to get skunked at. Do you use a dropper fly?

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Default Calling Fly Man Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Man_Bill View Post
You had ask me about the flies I use. I posted a reply on General Fly Tying. I was woundering if you had read it.
Bill, I apologize that I had not responded sooner to your list. Just for everyone else's benefit, here is the standard list of flies that Bill uses in the Park to chase after large fish:

Wooly Buggers (#4 & 6 hooks black or dark green in color)
Bitch Creek(#4 hooks black in color)
Crow Fly (#6 hooks black or peacock in color)
Tellico Nymph (#6 & #8 yellow in color)
Stone Flies (#4 & #6 black in color)
Pheasant Tail Nymph (#8 &#10 brown in color)
Hare's Ear nymph (#8 & #10 standard color)
Prince Nymph (#6 & #8 in peacock)
Yellow Palmers (#8,10,12)
Orange Palmers(#8,10,12)
Green Palmers(#8,10,12)
Male Adams (#8,10,12)
Female Adams (#8,10,12)

It sounds like you weight most of them and have good success catching larger fish. I think that makes alot of sense, since the largest fish are probably the shyest and the only way to draw them out it is with something meaty looking and close to where they are (at the bottom). But like you said in your post, it can be slow work. I've never been able to consistently catch fish with nymphs, so I probably don't work on it as much as I should.

Do you fish the Adams' weighted as well? Are the Green Palmers an olive color or more like a green weenie.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Default PeteCz

Sorry I have not responed sooner but I started back to school. It is hard to study,work and get in some family time. My schedule is full. The Adams I will weight but it depends on the water. I normal fish them dry with a weighted fly for a dropper. The dropper will pull the Adam under the water a couple of inches. The Green Plamers I tye them in 3 different colors. Dark Green, Green Weenie Green, and Light Green. All three of these work well from late March to the last of October. My go to fly now until November or December is a Crow Fly (#6 or a #4 depending on water levels). I have very good sucess with this fly year round. Hope this info. helps.

May God Bless You

Bill