Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM

Default Holston water temps.

I floated the Holston three days last week with clients. The water temperature was 65 degrees when we started early in the morning and reached 70 degrees by about 1 o'clock with a noticeable drop in fish activity.
Waterwolf is right about water temps changing very rapidly on the Holston. The river has warmed 5 degrees in less than 10 days. While 70 degrees will probably not kill trout on it's own, stress at 70 degrees can. Especially if care is not taken in landing and releasing fish. Let the water warm another 5 or 6 degrees and the fish are in real trouble.
The temps did stay cooler for a longer period of time this year but when Cherokee lake is out of cold water that is it. It happens every year..at least every year I have fished it ( since they started stocking trout). It doesn't make much difference what section you are in when the lake temperature reaches a certain point no cold water gets released. We normally stop fishing the river when that happens, yes ,you can still catch fish but a higher number of those released will not survive.
There is no private water on the Holston river. It is a public fishery. Hope this helps. Good fishing to everyone.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 PM

True statement about the private water, and I took the original statement to mean private in terms of access. The whole river is public below the high water mark as Mike stated. Sorry if I caused any confusion on that.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM

Thanks to all for explaining the temperature situation on the river. I meant private access, which there seems to be some if you know where.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:59 PM

It is just like anywhere else, take some time and drive the river and knock on doors. There are folks who will let you cross and there are folks who won't. Nances is the best public access point and is good up until Mid-July usually. Pretty water and fairly straightforward fishing. The really nice thing about the Holston in my opinion is that during April and May the water schedules are usually fantastic and down that low the water never rises or falls so you can fish anytime you get the hankering.