Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs03 View Post
put on a pooper?

I hear crumpy's running a special on 'em... one free pooper with every successful single haul!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
Be nice to him, Grumpy! He really is trying...

Gerry
I am really interested, I just need the patience of learning. I wanted to learn everything immediately and cast like you see everyone casting on the river, but my loops look deformed and don't look as pretty as theirs. My rod tip bounces creating bends in the line as it goes out, and it doesn't work at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I have anger management classes before each one i do

Grumpy
I need your email address, sir. How much is this class gonna set me back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingman62 View Post
worrgames i have a very inexpensive fly rod.... an 8ft flugler i got at wallmart several years ago.... i fish with the store bought tappered leader and add about 2ft of 5 or 6x tippet to it.... i am a self taught flyfisherman so im far from an excpert... but through practice and trial and error i can make a decent presentation and catch fish .... just keep at it and if you cant get to the river find a pond and put on a pooper and cast to bluegills..... just try varying your arm speed and your wrist movements....watch your loop behind you so you can see if its coalapsing behind you at all.... start with shorter cast then work up to longer ones ...like i said im far from an excpert but am willing to help as best i can ....hope this helps you a little bit ... if i was closer i would take crumpys class to..... he seems to be a very knowledgable guy
Well, if it was several years ago it was probably before they started carrying poorly made Chinese rods. It's undescribable how terrible my rod and reel are, I am partially tempted to let one of you fly fishing gods try it out for a day and tell me if it is really me or the rod. I'd like to think it was the rod I'm heavily considering going up to the Stones River today and practicing with a popper (haha at your "pooper"). We need to meet up at the Caney soon, Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs03 View Post
put on a pooper?
Bahahaha
Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post

I need your email address, sir. How much is this class gonna set me back?

I sent an e-mail from the store.

Grumpy
Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Gosh Grumpy is SO MEAN!!! I went up to Cumberland Transit to pay $10 for my casting lessons, and he is SO MEAN that he let me cast the rod I was considering buying AND we talked for almost 3 hours. GOSH! I'm DEFINITELY buying a TFO Pro series rod, without a doubt. I'm psyched for the class on the 20th.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
Gosh Grumpy is SO MEAN!!! I went up to Cumberland Transit to pay $10 for my casting lessons, and he is SO MEAN that he let me cast the rod I was considering buying AND we talked for almost 3 hours. GOSH! I'm DEFINITELY buying a TFO Pro series rod, without a doubt. I'm psyched for the class on the 20th.
well, i was trying to eat lunch dadgummit, i enjoyed the questions & enthusiasm, you'll be fine, all we gotta do is tackle one thig at a time

Grumpy
Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM

popper that is lol lol typo typo typo lol lol
Old 08-29-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
well, i was trying to eat lunch dadgummit, i enjoyed the questions & enthusiasm, you'll be fine, all we gotta do is tackle one thig at a time

Grumpy
I told you I would come back if you weren't finished. I am getting ready to go up to Stones River here in a bit, I didn't get a chance to yesterday. I had NO clue that traffic was gonna be that bad. I didn't get off 440 for nearly an hour. But I cast my rod for about 15 minutes today, and still hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingman62 View Post
popper that is lol lol typo typo typo lol lol
Haha SUUURE it is.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:12 PM

It's a lot easier if you can find a rod that you "click" with, once you learn to cast, they're all fun but different.

Grumpy
Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Well, it was the same scenario I told you, Ron. Popper was just too big for the bluegill. So I switched over to this extremely cheap bee imitation that my dad bought off eBay along with about 45 other flies for next to nothing. I wasn't getting any bites, so I cast it off to the side so I could select my next fly when I went to pull in my fly and it pulled back. I had a FAT pumpkinseed on (I think that is the name they're called, the really bright blue and orange ones). I caught about 4 or 5 more after that in the same spot all in different sizes, so it was pretty fun.