Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Hazel in late September, One last try

The first week in April this year we had the chance to stay a week at campsite 82, and we had an excellent time. This was the first time that both my brother and myself ever caught the slam in a single day.

We have been talking about giving it one more try before winter and leaving the last day of September and staying for a week. Anyone have any updates on how the water is looking our any fishing reports for the area?

Reading on this message board it seems like the NC side has not received as much rain as liked for this area. We are considering staying at campsite 83 this time because of the water levels hoping that being a little farther downstream would not hurt.

We have also talked about day hiking up to the Cold spring Gap trail and start fishing from this point up to Camp site 82. We have never fished this section before and was wondering if anyone has any information about this section. Since we will be there for a week any other suggested sections within a day hike from campsite 83 would be appreciated.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

All the water levels on the NC side are pretty good right now. Faye helped us out a little bit. I haven't been in there yet, but I'd say you are in the clear. I am going to try and get in there either the first or second week of October so maybe I'll see you in there.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 AM

sounds like a good plan to me. i don't think any trip to hazel creek could be a bad one. won't be long till those browns start running....
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 AM

bugg,

When you say the Browns start running, is this something that you would notice more at the tailwaters?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:39 PM

He means before they start spawning and start showing themselves. You will be surprised at how many big browns you will see if you haven't been out during spawning season before.

83 would most likely give you a better shot at landing a nice brown.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM

yeah, what he said