Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Huge thanks to Dean Campbell!

This morning I took my 8wt to Melton Hill dam for the first time to try to chase some stripers from the rocks. It was rough going, I only had a floating line and was not getting action. I reeled up and walked closer to the dam in time to watch another fly fisherman out in a boat land a striper. The man introduced himself as Dean Campbell and after a bit of chatting back and forth he asked if I'd like to try from the boat. I couldn't get to the ramp fast enough.

We fished for a couple hours and after unsuccessfully trying my rod/reel/line for about an hour, Dean allowed me to borrow one of his rigs, which got me deep enough to hook my first striper. What a fish! Being a trout guy, I had no idea what to do when he handed me the Boga grip, so I lost the fish before any pictures could be taken.

It was a huge thrill, and Dean is a very giving individual to allow a complete stranger to not only get on his boat but also to start teaching that stranger to begin fishing. Thanks a ton, Dean!

Abe Mathews
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM

Dean, you did a fine thing. Abe is a fine man, I have chatted with him over the years and he deserves to be picked up off the rip rap for a little southern hospitality.

S.R.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 PM

Default dean

dean ; is a great guy!!!!! having known him for several years [won't say how long don't want to tell our age] and man what great fly tyer. he really like those strippers . we could learn a lot from dean
Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 PM

Known the man since I was a mere pup and he is a fine fellow. Taught me how to tie flies when I was 12 years old. Ahh youth
Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Watch OUT, get yourself to an Addiction Center!!!

That guy addicted me about 12 years ago! Dean, aka, Seagull here (that name given to him while we were striper fishing with my longtime buddy in Maine.."that guy catches more fish than a **** seagull") will addict you. I just bought a 9wt Loomis to handle the bigger fish we have been catching this year. Seagull just nailed a 26 pounder last week. I am now on my 3rd big rod, a flats boat and all the other 2/0 hooks, chicken necks, deer hides, and more lead eyes that you can find in most fly shops.....except for LRO

Stay away from warm water fishing and especially the dealer known as SEAGULL!!! LOL!!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:42 PM

I know. I've been back twice now (without a hookup, but with a couple of close refusals), and my wife has taken this opportunity to stress again that she wants a boat. So I'm off looking at watercraft. Going to be a very, very expensive fish.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:06 AM

I have had the privilege of helping several people catch their first striper on a fly, and I love watching them react to the strength and speed of a striper. My first striper was an incredible experience back in 1987, and helping others have similiar experiences is an important part of our sport. Teaching and sharing IS the most rewarding part of fly fishing; just ask Walter or any of the instructors at LRO and I am positive they will tell you the same thing.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I truly appreciate them.

Flat, Abe now has knowledge of the Electric Chicken, but is sworn to secrecy.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 AM

Default Electric Chicken

Good.
Because I was going to check with Rob about a flyover with a Predator drone!!