Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Default Sun at My Back

So, I've been reading Bergman's "Trout" and he mentions having the sun at your back so that the trout are blinded by the glare. He also mentioned moving very slowly, waiting until things have calmed before your first cast, casting on target around rocks and really fishing them thoroughly and using short casts. Seems resonable, but I have also heard of high sticking which would leave me exposed. What is the best approach of the two in the mountains? I can't really high stick from the bank can I?
Old 09-14-2008, 06:24 PM

Not sure i totally agree with having the sun at your back. If that's the case, then alot of times your shadow would be projected upstream into where you are fishing. While it's alway better to fish at the bank if possible, sometimes you're forced to fish instream and the sun at your back wouldn't be anything i'd be happy about.

As far as high sticking, it really depends on where the run is that you're trying to fish. If the run is near the bank then in certain situations you certainly could high stick from the back, but it really just depends. Also, if the water is very low and clear, then yes you do have to be careful how close you are if you are going to high stick as the fish could see you. However, in most cases you would be fishing runs which breaks up the surface of the water so it's a little harder for the fish to see you. Wearing camouflage and taking a careful approach should, for the most part, do more than enough to conceal your presence from the fish.

In short, i think there is no definitive answer to your question on high sticking, it just depends. Experience will teach you alot. I hope this answers your question and helps you some.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Yeah, definitely helps. I think one of my biggest problems is that I've been wading too much. I will think about what you've said and keep it in mind. Thanks for the input,

BRF
Old 09-14-2008, 06:55 PM

I think a lot depends on the type of stream you're fishing. For example, I like the small streams, and quite often, the tree canopy in the warmer months is so dense, sunlight isn't much of a problem, no matter what direction it is coming from. On the other hand, any sort of shadow, or sudden movement, tends to scare the fish. As far as high-sticking, etc...if I'm fishing a larger stream with some runs with some heavy water, I find I can stand on one side of the run and drop my fly on the other side, and the fish can't see me, standing up or not. I always try to use heavy water to mask my presence.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Shadows

All My Life I've Been Taught To Fish Into The Sun.your Shadow Scares Fish.not Only Your Shadow-hawk's Shadows,predators Shadows,etc.this Also Allows You To Fish Into Shadows-bank Shadows,vegetation Shadows,etc.in My Experience,this Folds True For Warm+cold Water Species.cast A Popper Along A Shadowy Bank And Bream Will Nail It! Bass Also!trout On The Davidson And Nantahala Are Suckers For A Dry In The Shadows.to Paraphrase-"who Knows What Fish Lurk In The Shadows Of A Stream-the Shadow Knows.hoooooooohaaahaaaahaaa Haaa!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM

Good stuff! thanks!