Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Weber River, UT

8/27

Braden and I had an extra day in Salt Lake city recently so we headed for the local waters. First stop was the middle section of the Provo. This river is about 40 minutes from SLC and we had fished there before. The water looked great and there were several other people on the water but no one was catching any fish. We stuck it out for a couple hours hitting several good looking runs but nothing. We decided to head to the Weber which is about 30 minutes away. Both these rivers have easy roadside access. Recent legislation has also opened private property waters to fishing in Utah as long as you stay in the water.
We were able to walk up to some water that probably gets very little pressure and first cast I landed a nice 20" brown. We were fishing caddis with scud droppers and we continued to catch browns until almost dark. Most of these fish were in the 18" - 20" range and Braden got this nice 24".
He also got whipped by a big fish that he fought for about 10 minutes. I never tire of watching him fish and can't believe how much he has grown up the last couple years. Keep'em fishing as long as you can.
If you are ever in SLC make sure to hit these close by, and always active waters.

Best,

<'))))><
justfishing

Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Hey justfishing, congratulations on your visit to the Weber--that's a heck of a brown your son caught, good for him!
It's funny, but I was just starting to plan a trip to the Green below Flaming Gorge next summer with my dad, in late June, and I was curious about the Weber, I heard it might hold large browns and little competition, and thought we might try that river as well. Your report just made me want to make a stop along the Weber a priority! If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts on the river were you fishing? Thanks again for the report, and great pic!

Iain
Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM

Westslope,

The river follows 80E about 8 miles east of the Park City exit. Get off at Wanship and go east about 4 miles on East Wanship Rd. to Judd Lane and hang a left. There's a pull off right past the 80 overpass.
Good luck.

<'))))><
justfishing
Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 PM

Default Weber

My brother lives out in Sandy, UT. He seems to fish the Weber and Provo mostly. He gets some nice fish from both rivers.
Thats a beautiful Brown.
Thanks,
John
Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 PM

That sure is a beautiful brown. Glad you had a good trip and got to spend it with your son.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 PM

Thanks,

He got 'hooked" early.

<'))))><
justfishing