Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Default Warmwater Safety

I am reluctant to post this because I do not want to start a debate about Pitbulls, or dogs in general, but I know of a few folks that fish this spot and want them to be aware. He goes:

Yesterday in search of some different water on my kayak I went to the spot on 321 across from the Jehovah's Witness in Walland. My 14 year old daughter and a friend of her's were with me because they wanted to splash around in the water. I saw a couple of cars there and assumed (very dangerous) it was the typical group of good ole boys having a beer or two. We got out of the truck and walked over to check things out and were immediately confronted by three Pitbulls not on a leash. We were terrified, but remained relatively calm until the owner came over and granted us a reprieve. I've never been face to face with one of these animals before and I assure you that I NEVER want it to happen again. If you fish here, or even float by here, be careful.

I'm not sure the status of this property, but know of several flyfishermen that go there. If you know the staus of this property and I was out of line let me know. The property is not posted and I assure you that Mr. Pitbull was not the rightful owner as he was nervous about my presence also. Tough lesson to learn, but one I will not forget.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Glad things turned out okay for you Kevin. Sounds like you need a can of bear mace to carry...that might keep the dogs away... So have you been fishing much lately?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Mostly taking the kayak out around the house. Got my first double the other day (if bluegill count). Parachute hopper and a barbie bug. My wife has been out of town again, so I've been spending most of my time with my daughter. Give me a shout if you head this way.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM

Kevin, I may end up heading that way either on an upcoming Sunday or over my break in early October. I'll give you a call if I am coming to see if you want to fish... Also, if you're interested in doing some fishing somewhere other than the park, I may have an interesting trip or two in the works for that Oct. break. Shoot me an email if you think you'll have any time free (weekend or otherwise) and I'll let you know what I'm thinking about...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Unless I'm fishing inside a National Park or on Military property, I carry a firearm at all times while out fishing. I have a CDW (Concealead Deadly Weapons) permit and am very well trained in the use of firearms.

Anyway, the only time in all the years I've fished that I ever even placed a hand on my firearm was at a local lake when a woman with a pit bull / lab mix was there. I saw the dog and didn't think much of it because a lot of people walk their dogs around the lake and a lot take the leash off so the dogs can swim in the lake.

I just walked on down the bank and the dog saw me and charged. I held my ground and shouted at the dog while reaching behind my back for my revolver. The dog stopped about 10' in front of me and stood there growling and snarling as the owner brought it under control.

Some of my freinds call me a redneck hillbilly for carrying a firearm fishing (OK< maybe that's not the only reason they call me that) but things like heppened with you are very good reason to be in a position to protect yourself. Had one of those dogs actualy launched an attack, you would have been within your rights to end the attack by any means necessary.

I cannot imagine how scared you must have been. I know my heart was pounding pretty hard. In my case, there was only one mean dog, I did not have my son with me and I was armed.

I'm glad it didn't turn out badly for you, your daughter or her friend.

Keep an eye out there and stay safe guys, it's not just bears that can cause problems.

Jeff
Old 09-19-2008, 07:28 AM

Jeff, you're not alone.

I'm not a huge revolver fan, so my choice is made by Kimber. But I'm like you, if I'm not on posted or National park property, I'm highly likely to be armed.

The sad fact is that in current times, even if you think you're going where other folks never do, you're really going to some of the same places that meth cookers and others seek out.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Esquire View Post
Jeff, you're not alone.

I'm not a huge revolver fan, so my choice is made by Kimber. But I'm like you, if I'm not on posted or National park property, I'm highly likely to be armed.

The sad fact is that in current times, even if you think you're going where other folks never do, you're really going to some of the same places that meth cookers and others seek out.
92, I have a couple semi autos (45acp) but that little S&W 357 is so light and easy to carry it's my first choice as a carry arm.

It's like insurance, I sure do hope and pray that I never have to actually use it for anything more serious than poking holes in paper.

Jeff