Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 09-21-2008, 10:40 PM

Default This might sound crazy...

Would it be possible to create a spring creek by drilling a "Flowing Artesian Well" (since that is essentially what a spring is)? Assuming that it is possible, and you have the funds/resources to actually do it, it seems that you could create your own private trout stream. You could even design the shape, width, depth, structure, etc. and control the flow rate. How awesome would that be? Of course, it would be a small stream, but it would still be awesome, and encredibly expensive I assume.

Does anyone know anything about drilling water wells, or whether or not this would be possible?

I told you it would sound crazy, but I just couldn't help but ask...lol.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Not crazy. I even contacted a company called Spring Creek Aquatic Concepts in Oregon that builds trout streams and fish management areas but they are incredibly expensive.

By the way, I did the same thing by planting briars, including blackberries to improve my grouse hunting area. Unfortunately, the berries drew more copperheads than grouse.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM

Along the same lines...it is actually possible to generate your own electricity.

http://www.alternative-energy-news.i...hnology/hydro/

My Uncle has a nice private brookie stream and has considered doing this on the stream to basically power his own home.

~marc~
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Interresting idea GG. While it might be possible theoretically, I doubt you could ever get the permits for such a project.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Kytroutman,

What areas in Kentucky do you grouse hunt? I am almost more interested in hearing about your efforts to improve grouse habitat than I am trout habitat. I have been a grouse hunter since my dad started letting me tag along as a 6 year-old (without a gun, of course).

Grousegunner
Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Crazy?

No GG,
Nothing is considered crazy in the eyes and brain of a grouse hunter, especially in the South! Climbing up mountains for a bird that goes from 0-40 in less time than my Chevy Tahoe and knows every tree between you and him, no, nothing is crazy.

Ruffed grouse hunted Maine, New hampshire, KY, MN, and TN. Retired 11 y.o. GSP beside me right now chasing one up a mountain in her dreams. Good luck this season, it is definately a young man's game here in the south.

Good luck with your project.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 PM

GG, mostly in SE and Eastern KY. I also have a friend who owns 200+ acres near Red River Gorge. As stated, we transplanted hackberries, blackberries in addition to the regular saw briars that were already there. We also downed a number of trees to improve undercover for the birds. The area near the Gorge improved with the number of birds we were able to take but the areas around Clay and Jackson Co. saw no increase in birds but did count more copperheads. Whether or not the berries had anything to do with it is anybody's guess.