Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Default Backcountry Advice

Hello all,
A buddy and I are planning a trip into the smokies during the first week of October. I've fished in the smokies a few times but they've been day trips. The plan is to backpack for four nights and do as much fishing as possible. I was hoping for suggestions to a few questions.

1. What are some good backcountry campsites for fishing? Are these sites near any must see views, etc.?

2. Are these sites close enough that we could hike from one to another and still have time to fish?

3. What fishing gear do you suggest I bring (tippet, flies, waders, etc.)?

4. Any other advice you may have for planning such a trip?

Thanks so much.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:16 PM

1. & 2. Your best option for this is to pick a stream and walk it's length. One good example is hazel. You could go in from the top and fish your way down to the bottom.

3. With the low water i would bring small tippet, 5x and 6x. Bring some caddis and orange stimulators as well as some bwo, don't forget the standard attractor patterns as well, both nymphs and dries.

4. Take your time and enjoy yourself! Don't forget to take pictures and give us a report as well.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
1. & 2. Your best option for this is to pick a stream and walk it's length. One good example is hazel. You could go in from the top and fish your way down to the bottom.

3. With the low water i would bring small tippet, 5x and 6x. Bring some caddis and orange stimulators as well as some bwo, don't forget the standard attractor patterns as well, both nymphs and dries.

4. Take your time and enjoy yourself! Don't forget to take pictures and give us a report as well.

MTMAN,

What number is Hazel? Also, where is the trail head? He may not be able to find the name as easy as the number. I'm at work and my computer isn't licensed to open a .pdf file, so I can't look it up.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM

Bum Hoping,

Hey, it's very rare that it happens, but you better bring some warm gear and extra food because there have been some heavy snows in the backcountry in October. I've know people to get caught in the higher elevations and have to stay an extra 2 or 3 days. Also, bring a warm bag and an extra sweater (Geesh, I'm starting to sound like my father).
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

If you are looking for a good view then I wouldn't suggest doing any fishing. you'll spend most of your day finding a view and leave little time to fish. Hazel Creek, the better back country sites are farther up from the lake. Bone Valley or Proctor 83 and 82 I think, I don't have my map in front of me. Any pattern should work well, hopefully there will be some water. Wherever you choose, you'll have a great time. There is no place like here in the fall and early winter. Be prepared though. It was 40 on my porch this morning. I am sure that there was a frost underneath Clingman's Dome. In late April right before they closed 53 I made the mistake of not bringing all my warm clothes. The first night a Thunderstorm set in, the next night it apparently snowed an inch at Newfound Gap. I don't think I ahve ever curled up in my sleeping bag quite like that. The weather can and will change drastically in the backcountry and a few extra pounds in the pack would be well worth it.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 AM

speckleman,

it was May man
Old 09-26-2008, 06:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I had May in there but second guessed myself. Too many trips this year....or not enough...