Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 09-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Default smbbsh

Here is my attempt at the smokey mtn black bird soft hackle.
Let me know if you guys have any suggestions on what I should do different.
They are not the greatest pictures.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 PM

It looks pretty good from what i can tell. The hackle might be a little sparse though but hard to tell from the distance. I'm sure it would catch fish though.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 PM

Default re

1st off I must laugh...Daimond you need to google "KUNG FU HILLBILLY" check that cats name while having a laugh! Second Jeep, I believe Hugh puts a bend in the hook with a pair of pliers about 1/3 down the hook shank from the hook eye. I believe she'd fish just fine though! Man you look like me taking photographs of flies...I laughed when I saw the paper bag background! One of these days soon I'm gonna grab one of those pro fuss ional setum ups! Photobooth. Till then I'll supporting the paper bag approach too! Though I'm not certain of this you'd have to ask the grand master of the smbbsh! Thas wut dad says anywho! You been doing any fishing Jeep? When ever I get my finances in order we'll have to do a float! Things been running tighter than the norm!

~Brett
Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 AM

Brett,
How was the trip? Where are the pictures? I know you're busy and all but how about some priorities... Seriously, looking forward to some reports whenever you get some time...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Not bad. Like Brett says, put a bend in the hook (assuming you're using a basic TMC 100 hook) about two thirds of the way up from bend in the hook. It's kinda like a Klinkhammer bend. Also, beef up the black ice dubbing a touch and try a variety of wires - green, red, gold..... Also, try tying in the starling feather and palmering it.