Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Fuel shortage?

My wife and I will be driving to Townsend this Wednesday from Florida. We have heard the news reports of gasoline shortages throughout the area. Are these reports accurate? I could possibly route up I-95 or take the back way from Macon to Athens, but I-75 is usually faster.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

We seem to be fine in Sevier Co., for now (a ten minute drive to Townsend). Avg. I see is about 3.39.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 AM

The fuel shortage is mainly across the state of Georgia until you get north of Chattanooga. After that, there is no problem. There are also some isolated shortages located around western NC and SC, so check with AAA before considering the I-95 route as well.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Default I recently drove to and...

...from North Georgia. I drove along I-10 over to I-75 north. The only shortages I experienced were when I stopped in Valdosta. This was about 3 weeks ago and in Valdosta 2 out of the three gas stations at the exit where i re-fueled, were out of gas and the one I stopped at only had 300 gallons remaining when i was there.

I would suggest checkling with someone like AAA and also that you might seriously consider going up either US1 or I95.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 09-29-2008, 12:48 PM

There were some major supply problems in nc and sc recently but i think things will get better this week. I know they actually had to shut down some schools in western nc around asheville last week. You'll know if you're in an area with supply problems because it will be 3.89 a gallon. You should be fine though.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Here in Waynesville it was terrible last week. At the stations where you could find any you had to wait up to an hour. Lines were out in the road.....ridiculous. That being said I waited it out and pout off my fishing until the weekend. I filled up for 3.73 a gaollon and paid and left...no wait. You should be fine now though. No problems in the last 4 or 5 days.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the infomation. We feel more confident about the drive and will stop once before getting to Macon. that should take us to Townsend easily.
If anyone has come up I-75 today or yesterday, and had problems, I would appreciate an update.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Is it not quicker for you to hit 441 out of Atlanta through Franklin, Cherokee, then hang a left at Sugarlands? Just wondering not exactly sure which direction you are coming from.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 AM

Specleman - That is our usual route so I can stop and get a NC yearly licence near Cherokee. My current one expires today
Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM

We found some stations with limited supplies and one or two that were out completely last week driving from Townsend to Cedar Key and Back. We filled the truck up whenever we reached 1/2 of a tank. Our route was I-75 and Highway 411. You will find the fuel cheaper in here than in Florida.

Byron