Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 AM

Default Wooly Bugger question

Hey folks, fairly new to fly tying but learning a lot. I have a question about weighted Wolly Buggers. I usually prefer to tie mine with bead heads, but saw on a tying dvd where a guy tied his by wrapping lead wire near the eye of the hook. My questions are: is there any advantage to tying them one way or the other and is the action the same when stripping them through the water.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM

If you don't like the flashy gold bead or any bead for that matter, lead is the way to go. You can also add heavier lead or lighter lead to vary how fast they will sink. Another benefit to wire or weight is you can place it in different parts of the hook shank to vary the fly's swimming characteristics. I prefer the look of the gold bead myself. If I want to add weight I will still use a little light lead wire under the bead.

Last edited by gmreeves; 10-08-2008 at 01:19 PM..
Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Beads are available in colors now that were not available even five years ago. I tie mine with a black tungsten bead in lieu of the copper or brass bead heads.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Usually a fly weighted near the front will have a jigging motion and is very effective when stipped as a streamer. If I want to dead drift the fly, I add the lead-free wire,but be careful not to crowd the eye. With the weight on the hook shank the fly will ride head up and look more natural giving the fish a better look at his next meal.
No Hackle <><