Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Default Fishing the Cumberland on Friday?

I'm thinking about driving down and fishing the Cumberland on Friday (tomorrow, 09-26-0 afternoon. I'll start out at Helm's Landing and probably work my way downstream from there. If anyone wants to join me, you're more than welcome. I'll probably be there around 3 pm (eastern time, 2 pm central time) and fish until dusk.

Anyone fished the Cumberland lately? I'll probably start out with some black zebra midges with copper wire/bead. That fly always produces well. If you know of anything else that is working well right now, let me know.

Grousegunner

Last edited by Grousegunner; 09-25-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 PM

Let me know how you do Grousegunner. I am planning on going down the 5th of October for a few days.

Groundhawg
Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM

I'll just miss you. I'll be fishing Helm's this saturday from early in the morning till late afternoon, it should be great. I just wonder what the pulse they're going to let out will do to the fish?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Well, the fishing wasn't as great as I hoped it would be, but I had a great time regardless. The first 20 minutes were fantastic, with 1 rainbow and 3 browns (one was a slot fish) coming to hand on a black zebra midge. Helm's started to get pretty crowded after I landed the fourth fish, and the action slowed down dramatically from that point.

Air temp was in the mid 70s under partly cloudy skies. Water temp was in the mid 50s. Winds were a little stronger than I normally prefer.

Grousegunner
Old 09-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the report. At least you caught some. Hopefully by going in the middle of the week, we will avoid the crowds. I will let you know how we do and hopefully some pictures.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 PM

Might see you down there Ground Hawg, I usually try and drive down for the day on Mondays, so I will probably be around the Dam or at Helms on the 6th.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 PM

KY Tim,

Almost didn't think I was going to make it down to the Cumberland on Monday. My fishing buddy strained his casting arm hauling water twice a day, for nearly two weeks, for his horses when the winds from Ike took out our electric. He let me know this morning that the arm is better, but I am to massage it every night. Now there is just something wrong about that.

We will be coming down Sunday and plan to his the river late afternoon for a while. We will definitely be on the river at Helms on Monday and leave around noon on Wednesday.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM

How was the trip? I am headed down this Friday for 3 days.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Well the boys from Ohio arrived Sunday afternoon and headed for Helms. Day one, zero fish. The river was still up when we arrived and fish were rising all around, but we just felt like we were not in control. The river had changed a little since last year, but we started with the same rigs we used a year ago. A woolybugger with a zebra trailer. Nothing. Then we spent the rest of the afternoon trying a wide variety of combinations with no success.

Day two was another beautify robin egg blue sky and the river was down. Once again we started with what we knew, which must not have been much, because we just couldn't get anyting on the hook. By late morning the river started to rise after the corps releasing between ten and noon. We decided to take a break for lunch and along came the Kentucky fish and game folks with a truck full of trout. In about ten minutes they were gone and the river was full of hungry fish rising all around the boat ramp. We quickly caught and release fish eager to take almost any small nymph, but in about fifteen minutes they had got their fill and started to scatter. By evening the little guys, about ten inchers, started to feed on the surface again and I was able to catch a few on an Adams. Earlier in the afternoon we took a hike downstream and caught a few rainbows, but had no clue as to why they were there and why they hit what we offered. Just dumb luck.

Day three brought more of the same. Other fishermen were reporting a few fish, but most everyone reported that fishing was tough. Of course there was the one guy with a spinning rig fishing with a big glob of worm and would catch the occasional trout off the bottom.

In three days, we didn't see anything caught over about 14 inches from Helms and mostly rainbows.

Although the fishing wasn't the most productive, the weather was great until late Tuesday and we saw plenty of turkey and deer.

Hope the rest of you had better luck than me. I hope to make it back down later in November and have better luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 PM

Just got back from a couple of days on the Cumberland. Fished from Helms Landing up to the Put In off Ray Mann Rd. The fishing is much better as the water starts down. The Dam released from 10-12 both days and the fished perked up from about 2pm until dark. You must fish deep and the Zebra Midges were the way to go. Lots of traffic on the river both days. I need one of those drift boats, or something close....