Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Question if i wanted just one digital slr

This just might be the perfect question for Byron. I am a huge nikon fan and am wanting to purchase a new digital slr camera what is your advise? I want one that will capture these wonderful outdoor adventures when hiking in to the remote places to fish. I want long range capability for those pictures that are just out of reach for a standard lense. But take good up close pictures for one fish a month postings. Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 PM

This sounds more like a lens question to me. So, you want an all-purpose lens that has good telephoto reach, can take landscape shots, and decent portrait shots. Also, you are a Nikon person, as am I. Look at the 18-200 VRII. For an all purpose lens, it doesn't get much better than that. However, if you want to give up the landscape shots since typically the kit lens has that covered, I would go for a macro lens in the 90 to 105mm range. The Nikkor 105mm macro lens is razor sharp, but costs around $750.However, Sigma makes a very nice 105mm f/2.8 macro for around $440.

As far as the body goes, I have a D40, and it works great. The limitation to it is that it does not have an internal motor for focusing, so I have to buy lenses with an internal motor if I want autofocus capability. I believe the D60 has an internal motor, so that opens up your options for lenses.

Hope this was somewhat useful.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 10-14-2008, 01:36 PM

I really like Nikon's D80.

I've never used one, but Pentax's 200D is water and dust resistant, and it's reasonably priced. If that's something that interests you, you might want to look into it. But I don't think the quality is up to snuff with the Nikon...
Old 10-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Great

Man this is good. The D40 and D60 was the 2 that I was looking into. I have a Nikon N75 film camera with a nikon 300mm lens. I just simply want something to take the place of this one in the digital world. The D60 might be the way to go. I would love a D80 but I am looking at price.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Flyred06,

It is about lenses. For a body I would love to have a D3. Can't justify the cost. I would settle for a D700. Can't justify the cost. Both are full frame and fast. I have two D100's and they work fine for what I do. You can buy used D100 bodies for about $350. I think in the long run you are better off spending your money on the lens. A D40 and D60 work great, probably better than what I have. The D100 is pretty much bomb proof though. Paula has a D50. She likes it. The two lens' I use outside the studio are the Nikon 12-24 DX and a Nikor 80-200 2.8. The 80-200 took a dunking in the Middle Prong a few years ago. Water was running out of it. It dried out for a couple of weeks and has been fine ever since. For macro I have a Nikor 60 mm 2.8. I use it for photographing flies and hooks for the catalog. With it I shoot at F32 for great depth of field which is important for flies. For shooting larger merchandise for the online catalog I use a 28-70 2.8 Tokina.

I like Nikon but Canon makes some great gear too.

Hope this helps.

Byron