Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 PM

Default Western Carolina tour

I started last Tuesday on the Nantahala DH. I took a friend of mine over who enjoys his once a year fly fishing trip. We took quite a few fish with dries and even more with small nymphs, mainly zebra midges. There were lots of bugs, more than I can remember seeing, especially caddis. Also, more people on a weekday than I've seen. My friend came back at the end of the day and I drove over to Sylva that night. The next morning, I drove over to the other side if Waynesville and fished another DH stream, the Pigeon. Maybe the west fork I think. This stream was stocked with some rather large fish which you could spot from some high streamside vantage points. I hooked some nice fish, rainbows and brookies. One brookie that I had briefly would have gone 18 inches. More noticeable was how fat this fish was, easily 2-3 lbs. Neat thing about this water is that there are a population of wild brown. When things slowed down a bit, you could find these fish midging in slow, flat water. 7x tippet and #22 griffiths gnats would get you some 9-10" fish. I was told there had been an evening hatch of 'something", but by 7:30 nothing I saw indicated an evening hatch.
Thursday morning found me on the Tuckaseegee, far and away the state's most heavliy stocked river. The generation was off till late in the day so it was easily waded. Started catching fish right off the bat with some dark colored soft hackles, size 14. A caddis hatch started around 11:00 but it was short lived. The wind took its place for the rest of the day but fishing only picked up in the afternoon. Changing to a smaller soft hackle, partridge and orange, I moved to another stretch of river and really began to catch fish, most everything were browns. These were fat,and hard fighting 11-14" fish. I don't count fish normally and I didn't on this day, but it had to be one of the biggest 'number' days I've had. After 4:30, I spent the rest of the day looking for risers but saw few. I went back to nymphing and picked up a few, then once again fished soft hackles and caught some more. I noticed more than a few people swinging soft hackles.Largest fish here was a rainbow that I never brought to hand but it looked to be 14-15"
I decided Friday morning to head back home so I fished the Nantahala for most of the afternoon. Overnight rains had it up and off color but you could still catch some fish. The number if insects were way down from Tuesday but I noticed a big hatch of either #18 blue quills or bwo's coming off in the early afternoon. Did catch some fat brookies on #16 yellow stimulators.
It was nice to get back over there in that area. I wished I had taken some time to get up on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and drop over on the Davidson river but maybe next time. I instead explored just a bit over around the Little Tennessee below Franklin for a future trip for smallmouth.

mstone
Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 AM

nice, sounds like you had a good couple of days. the tuck has been fishing pretty well. they put some lunkers in that river and i expect to see some big ones being drug out come june 7. i am from haywood co., and i know what you are talking about when you mention the population of wild browns in the west fork. there are some big wilds in the mix with all the stockers. nice report, keep em coming
Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 PM

Hey mstone,

Braden and I are planning on making the West Carolina tour around the 12th, next month. How will they be fishing?

<'))))><
justfishing
Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 PM

justfishing,
I think the water levels will be ok. They stock the DH streams the first of October. That will be a good time to be in the mountains. If my plans to go to Arkansas don't work out, I will be over that way the week of the 18th.
Good luck if you go and post a report.

mstone
Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 AM

If you go to the tuck after they stock then it won't even be fishing, it will be catching. They stock that place so ridiculous that it probably won't matter what you put on.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:20 PM

mstone,

Is 215 over by lake logan worth the drive? We only have a day and half.

Thanks,

<'))))><
justfishing
Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 AM

justfishing,
that is a nice drive. If I remember, the DH section on the Pigeon is about a 45 minute drive from Sylva. That's a tough call because I would want a little more time than that to spend in these areas. If they happen to be releasing too much water on the Tuck, I would spend most of my time above Lake Logan on the Pigeon. Hwy. 215 runs up to and over the Blue Ridge Parkway and down to the Brevard area. The Davidson is over there...........

mstone
Old 09-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks,

jf
Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Braden and I headed up to Dillsboro Friday morning and decided to stop off at the Nantahala on the way. I was amazed at how many people were there for a Friday, but soon found out why. Every pool we hit we caught fish. I don't think it really mattered what we had on, but the brookies were hitting copper johns, the rainbows were hitting anything orange and Braden caught a nice brown on a white streamer. We fished the Tuck hard Saturday morning and landed a few but decided to head back over to the Nantahala for the afternoon, and again it didn't disappoint. The colors in the mountains were spectacular and we decided to head down 23 on the way back and stopped off to take a look at Tallulah gorge. Pretty neat. It's amazing what you can squeeze into a weekend if you try. You guys that live in the corner don't know how good you have it. Thanks for sharing.

<'))))><
justfishing