Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 PM

Wink Bear Mace

Just having this stuff with you is reassuring and increases your fishing enjoyment as you are less anxious about the bears knowing you are not completely without a defense. Also if one is really coming at you aggressively you can still be shaking like a leaf and probably be able to get the job done. 44 magnum or similar heavy firearm is hard enough to shoot accurately even if you are not shaking and besides that you would be in trouble with the authorities even if your defense was that it saved your life while fishing in the National Park. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
On a side note, I have a book on fishing by a author named Jimmy Jacobs. He said that in 25 years fish these remote streams he has yet to see a bear. How is that possible?
It was possible, Jacob's book came out in 1996, a lot has changed since then.

Quote:
The numbers are up, both more people and more bears now. On top of that it is prime season now before winter.

Yeah, I guess it is possible. I am 30 years old and have been fishing these streams since I was 10. I cant count the number of bears I have seen. My dad has been fishing these stream for well over 40 years and he has seen and had numerous bear encounters. He even got scratched on the thigh when he was in his teens. I guess a lot of it has to do with were you are. Go hang around poke patch in the head of deep creek a few days and you should see a bear. Palmer creek in Cataloochee is a good bet as well. I was there a few weeks ago and seen one bear and enough scat around to fill a 55 gallon barrel. The morale of this story is to invest $55 for a can of bear spray so you can have a little more piece of mind while in the backcountry.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 10-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 10-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Talking

Air horn are good for alot of things, but I had never thought about using it as a deterrent to bears. I always used it on unsuspecting roommates. Now that is a TON of fun!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 AM

I'm wondering if the air horn would run off a bold shark. I had a friend tell me a couple of days ago a 14' hammerhead circled his kayak several times. I may buy a bigger air horn or maybe 2 or 3. I bet it would work.

Byron
Old 10-18-2008, 02:12 AM

Default Large Knife

Bear Spray Is Good,but If It Doesn't Work I Carry A Marine K-bar W/9' Blade.i Ain't No Dan'l Boone,but I Ain't Going Down Without A Fight! ****,i'm Over 6' And 280lbs And 61 Years .too Old And Fat To Run!get Some Funny Looks At Ingall's When I Stop On The Way Home.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Swampus, I'm with you on that one. I'm not very fast and too small to fight a decent bare with rocks and hands! I carry a Bowie knife when I go. It looks goofy, but it makes me feel better.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 10-18-2008 at 02:19 PM..
Old 10-18-2008, 01:42 PM

Default Dan'l Boone

Blueraiderfan,maybe We Should Get Us Some Buckskins-use A Possibles Pouch Instead Of Vest.i Got A Leather Hat.does Orvis Sell Felt-soled Moccasins?bet We'd Get Some Strange Looks From The Tourists!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:49 PM

Default Airhorn Shark

Byron-i'd Check It Out While Holding It Underwater.stick Your Head Under Also For A True Test.i Am Not Saying 'go Soak Your Head!'don't Know You Well Enuff Yet!
Old 10-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPUS View Post
Blueraiderfan,maybe We Should Get Us Some Buckskins-use A Possibles Pouch Instead Of Vest.i Got A Leather Hat.does Orvis Sell Felt-soled Moccasins?bet We'd Get Some Strange Looks From The Tourists!

Ha! I look foolish enough just casting the way I do! No sense in piling on!