Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Default clinch Big Brown Question?

Has anyone ever tried a suan wan worm on the clinch. IF so, has anyone had any success? Also what would some of you reccomend using to Catch some big browns right now?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 PM

tnflyguy,

Fish the clinch quite often, and have never tried a SJ worm. I have some in my box, but never think to tie one on. I have caught lots of fish in the 15 to 18" range this year on #20 zebra midges & BHPT's, and my large brown came on a #18 sulfur thorax. However, I think for more consistent big brown action one should throw an olive streamer, either a wooly bugger or a slumpbuster. Also, it wouldn't hurt to throw a worm, you may just be surprised with your results.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 10-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Anyone else willing to give up any secrets for some big browns?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:23 PM

Be persistent.

If your going to throw streamers for big fish, then throw streamers for big fish.

No, your not going to have great fish counts at the end of the day....but you'll likely see some bigger fish chase and every now and then you might just get the big guy to eat.

You can't just work a streamer for a little while and give up because your not getting action.Also, floating and covering a lot of water also lends itself to streamering for larger fish.

Often times I get clients who just want to target large fish. So I explain to them early on that they might not catch a lot of fish.....maybe not any. But to effectively work streamers, you have to be persistent.

I tell people to treat it like being a vacuum cleaner salesman. You have to knock on every door you come to (work your streamer along the entire bank, structure etc). Most people are going to see you coming and not answer the door. But you still have to be persistent. Some will show some interest and listen to your sales pitch, then not buy a vacuum in the end. Others are going to buy your vacuum before you even start your sales pitch.

Catching big fish consistently has a lot more to do with attitude than anything else.

Of course this is just my two cents and other anglers might have different, but equally effective techniques to share.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 PM

Default Big Browns

Finding big browns are awesome. I have caught my big browns on an egg pattern last spawn(which im looking forward to soon) and midges(thread and zebra midges). I dont know much about fishing buggers, but i like the white or black zonker.I have caught more on that so thats what im comfortable with. Whatever you use good luck and make sure you respond to what you catch them on.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:49 AM

I caught a few bows last december on the clinch with a pink san juan. I was fishing some slack water with no current so i stripped the fly back really slowly and waited for the tug. It was a pretty slow day in all, but i did manage about four near dusk using this method. the san juan is pretty much an attractor pattern wherever you're at. i have seen one small water-worm type insect under a rock on the SOHO, but thats about it. it was brown. i've definately never seen any pink or red or orange or tan worms swimming around yet, my go to nymph rig begins with a spit shot above my san juan on 5x.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 AM

Default Clinch worms

if you want to see a bunch of water worms next time you fish near the dam on the clinch head up closer to where the water comes out there are tons of them around the rock. They were a orange/tan color.

<>< John Zimmerman