Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Holston

anyone know when they will stock the holston? And what are the odds of hooking a trout right now at Nances Ferry?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:32 PM

I don't think there are any fish in the Holston...
Old 10-16-2008, 01:47 PM

If the Holston is Fishless, Waterborne...I'll take a hog as a pet!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Rumor has it that you nearly had a hog as a pet
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM

A boy named Suuuueeeyyy!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Holston Report

I live just a few miles from the Dam and I have never seen the Holston this warm or dry, it stunk! This has been, at best, a bad year on the Holston. Hotter then normal, and lower then normal. The fishing dried up earlier then usual and stayed that way. I will be making my first trip there, since June in the morning to see if the weather has given it any help and I will post tomarrow (hopefully with good news).

DON'T BY THE PIG YET!!!

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy

Last edited by Gypsy; 10-17-2008 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: ADDED SOME WORDS
Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Good News

I made it to the Holston, just below the dam. It was a really good morning to fish, the water was much cooler and I was able to hook up with between 10-15 rainbows. The biggest of these would be about 11-12in. I did miss a few more which tells me that the fishing is picking back up or has already picked up. Hugh Hartsell has probly fished it and could give a better report. I just know that I had a ball. This coming week I am going to try to get down to Nance's Ferry and see if the lower reaches have improved. But around the dam and below is doing fine. One point of note the wind was rough this morning and casting was a bit hard (at least for me) I saw a couple of other guys out all seemed to be doing well. Spoke to one and he had about the same report. A few dry fly strikes, but most where made with bead head nymphs, and bh wooly bugger.(orange rubber leg stim., bhpt)

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy
Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 AM

I also fished the Holston yesterday (Sunday) just downstream of the dam and did pretty well for me. I only caught two trout in three hours, but they were 15 and 18 inches (both bow's), one on a zebra midge and the other on a wet fly swing. There are some absolute hog (to continue the analogy) trout in there that I guess made it through the summer (wonder how far down stream they made it?). There was a bunch of little stuff hatching and a decent caddis hatch that started around noon (little and light tan). The fish seemed to be taking emergers just below the surface, but I couldn't quite key in on what they were going for with a fly.

BTW, those trout fought like freight trains, the first time a trout has ever truly bow-ed my 5 weight over. Hopefully the fishing only heats up as the temp drops, I really enjoy the Holston.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM

its funny you mention the fighting abilities of those fish you caught. i fished the holston five or six times this summer and every time i hooked a fish i would have swore it was four inches bigger than what it actually ended up being. something about those fish makes them really ticked when they get stuck with a hook. funny you mentioned the hogs in there too, check out this fatty i caught over the summer but havent put up on here yet.