Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews
Default Shredded Marlboro Bag on Deep Creek

Hey guys -

The guys from my bulletin board met Lauren and me up on Deep Creek in Bryson City last week. We didn't find any of the large browns in the lower water, but we did find a lot of hungry brookies up on the high slopes.

While we were there, my camera batteries died or I'd have taken a picture of what we found. In a rhododendron thicket off to the right bank (ascending) of Deep Creek, very near to the Sahlee (I think that was the name) Creek confluence, we found a red and black Marlboro-branded rolling duffel bag, almost like a luggage bag. It had been thoroughly chewed, I assume by a bear. It had teeth marks through a plastic panel that were at least as big as a large dog could make.

I am just wondering if anyone knows any person who lost such a bag. It was interesting where we found it - I had to lie almost prone to drag it out. Believe me, I was leery of what I might find in that bag, but luckily it was empty. All I saw around it was a small plastic cup. Strange that anyone would have taken a rolling bag that far in to the Park - we were around two miles down Deep Creek trail at that point.

Oh, and here are some pictures from the trip.

Zach
Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Zach

As usual, absolutely stunning photos! An odd story about the bag only adds to the adventure; I hope you find the owner of that bag, I bet that bag has a tale to tell!

Paula
Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 PM

Hahaha, I bet that bag does too, Paula. Thanks for the comments on the photos - everything with me in it was obviously taken by Lauren. I think we about hit the peak of the colors, although we might have been a bit late for the bright reds.

Zach
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 PM

Great pictures! Looks like you had a good time over there...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks Zach, enjoyed those as I know you enjoyed taking them, Bran.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Nice pics man. That first sunset/sunrise pic is one of the better I have seen in a while. Is that a lake or fog in the valley?

Just a thought though...with the cold, clear, low water, those colors you are wearing stand out a bit. This could have had something to do with your troubles finding some browns, might not have had anything to do with it. Its always a possibility you were behing someone also...who knows.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Those are the kind of professional quality photos you see in all the mags. Very nice shots. I'm sure we will see those again.
The bright clothing makes the photographers subject matter stand out against background. You see that in most fishing mags. That is what sells the product. Most of the local mtn fishermen wear more subdued clothing and try to be more stealthy like crouching on one knee or extending the leader to prevent lining the fish. I don't personally think fishing for brook trout requires as much stealth as would for big browns so you can get away with brighter clothing, same as fishing for warm water species like smallmouth.
Love the photography, you all definitely have the artist eye.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Those clothes were the ones we had worn in the car up from Atlanta - we just got into waders and did a little late evening fishing. I am certain we weren't the first through that section, either.

This is a shot Lauren took of all of us on the upper slopes working a little pool. I am up in the front wearing earth tones. Despite the carnival of four anglers coming through, we caught quite a few brookies. I had just come back from the Cumberland, so I'd had plenty of big browns and was in the mood for brookies. I probably still should have gone back and checked the lower creek to see what would have been there in the morning.

I think that was fog in the valley but I am not sure of the relative position of Fontana from Clingman's Dome. That shot is looking away SE, so I think Fontana would still have to be on my right. I couldn't see any water. There would have been more dawn shots (without obstructing brush) but it was freezing cold and my hiking tripod was slipping. The heavy one was sitting in the car at the base of the mountain.

Thanks for the comments on the photos.

Zach
Old 10-22-2008, 06:08 PM

Hi Zach,

Beautiful photos as usual like the one at the top of this page. Kind of looks like you... October 22 2008. Thank you for sharing your talent with all of us. One of your photos just went out in a LRO mailing last week. Tell Lauren Hello. The photo of her in our August/September mailing was stunning.

Byron
Old 10-23-2008, 10:51 PM

Great pics! Enjoy seeing those fall colors and hearing fishing reports! Thanks!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."