Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Angry Little River 10/23/08

Well we all have heard the saying; A bad day fishing, is better then a good day at work. I should have stayed at work! I have never had such a bad day on the water, ever. I thought I would share it with you all to see if anyone could relate or if I was by myself. I made it to LR/ Elmont camp ground about 8:00am, I had planned on fishing all day and really exploring the LR. I was going to go up LR from the campground. I suited up and headed to the water, I started to string my rod and my problems began. I had to remove the spool and about 1000ft of line to get a tangle out in order to string up. I got that fixed and strung my rod. Tied on a SM sunshine (a fly I am not familer with) and a zebra dropper. I made a few cast and relized I had left my polarized glasses back at the Jeep (laying on the bumper) I rn back to get them before someone else did. i got back to the jeep and they where gone I looked around the the jeep and the ground and couldn't find them. I opened the back of the jeep and there they where smashed between the jeep lid and the latch. Note: For the one who started the thread on polarized glasses, don't buy expensive ones you will crush them and then you will wish you had bought cheap ones. I bent them and shaped them into something wearable, the nose piece was shattered so I hurt a bit to wear but I wore them anyway. I went back to the river and started fishing again, in a effort to make this short I caught every leaf in the water, and every tree twig, and log or grass within 100ft of the water. however I did catch some really nice native leaves in full color. By 11:00 I had not even had a hit and everthing I tried was a waste. Then I fell from a dry rock not a slippery wet one but a completely dry rock I fell hard and it hurt bad I just laid there for a moment winded waiting for something to say it was broke, but I got up and went on. My arm, and chest really hurt but nothing is broke I guess and I am reallly brused up this morning but I lived. So I went back to fishing. I was about to pick up my line at one point to find I had hooked (he had hooked himself) a small rainbow. At this point I was having such a bad day I though I should get a pic, well i couldn't find my camara in anyof my pockets. I let they little fella go and fished some more. All in all I had a terrible time and it was mostly human error and technical difficulties. At 12:30 I had enough and quit I walked out and got back to the jeep and found my camara. I had left it on top of the jeep, it is amazing no one had taken it. I started home and to make matters worse I was rear-ended by a lady in a brand new white lexus suv with thirty day tags. No damage to her car and of course my old jeep actually liked the little love tap. So I assured her I would not be reporting it and we parted ways. I did see a bear on the way out crossing the road he stopped in the road so everyone could get a good look at him and then went on toward the river (he was big). Anyway I no that the LR is better then that I just had a really bad day unlike any I have ever had before. Like i said I should have stayed at work.
Today I will fish the WPLP and take my wife (she wants to learn fly fishing, maybe I should send her with some one else) I am told that the WPLP is great for beginners so I choose it for her first outing. With the look of things yesterday I need it to.
I hope you all can laugh with me, because it hurts to bad to cry

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy

Last edited by Gypsy; 10-23-2008 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

You know what this means, right? You're next trip will be outstanding. Out standing in the water wondering why you did something else boneheaded. Just kidding! We've all had those days. I've ruined a digital camera, broken my glasses, and had ripped my leg open while being stuck between a couple of rocks about the size of shoe boxes (perfect fit for a foot to wedge between). We're told that backcountry fishing is an assumed risk sport, but we hardly assume we'll be the cause of the risk. We can prepare for wild animals, snakes, rough water, food, getting lost, etc., but we can never prepare for how dumb we become in a parking lot!

Hope your next trip is phenomenal!

And my jeep has plenty of love bumps, too, it's part of its charm...

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM

Wow,

Glad you weren't flying in a plane that day!!!!

I agree your next trip will be wizz banger. I fished Greenbriar on the 17th and for the first time was very depressed about the experience.

Thanks for making me feel better.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Gypsy,
If it makes you feel better:
Last week I had just got set up on the Little River, downstream from the turn into Elkmont, and cast out into a small run. A little guy came up and hit my fly. I instictively set the hook, and one of us missed. My fly went straight up into a tree and caught in a high branch over the water. By wading out, climbing a rock and grabbing the part of the branch that I could reach I worked my way out to the fly and actually retrieved it, still connected to my leader no less. I had just got back to the bank and was pulling the fly line back out through the last eyelet and happened to look downstream just as a decent trout was rising in the tail end of pool below me. I thought, "Well, glad I got that nonsense out of my system and now its time to go that fish." I quickly grabbed my 4-piece rod at the juncture of the 3rd and 4th segments to pull the butt end within reach and heard a horrible cracking sound as the rod snapped in my hand. Lucky fish.
Things were looking better when I got back down to LRO. Thanks to Bill for helping me to find a new rod quickly and getting me back out on the water, in the limited time I had. Also, Bill and Daniel told me my old rod was still under warranty (I had no idea) and sent it back to Orvis for me.
I continued fishing at Tremont, and did okay, mostly small rainbows, but it was better than my morning. The story doesn't take a turn for the worse again until I got home and had to tell the boss that I had bought a new rod. I'll spare you the details there, but I wished I was back on the river with a broken fly rod looking at a trout that was gonna get away.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:26 PM

At least you managed to get onto the water....the last of these "trips" for me was a couple of years ago when my son and I were on our after school sojourn to Elkmont for a week of fishing....we were almost six hours into our trip and while walking into the Bass Pro Shop north of Atlanta my brain sent me the message that I had left all of our vests and tackle bags hanging on a door knob in the bedroom....luckily my son had already heard most of the words that escaped my mouth....then the first hour on the river below the campground my son proceeded to break my Orvis one ounce....luckily it too was still under warranty and we had enough rods not to have to buy a replacement...I think such trips are placed in our way to make us more appreciate those days when everything magically comes together.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:32 PM

Gypsy,
Actually, it was just you. The rest of us have wonderful fishing experiences. Our flies all just dance around those leaves in the water and we have perfect drifts on every cast. Heck, the last time I was on the LR above Elkmont, the browns were fighting the rainbows to see which would be the first to eat the fly I had just cast. It was outstanding.

We've all read about people falling on the rocks, but none of us have ever actually witnessed anyone doing it. I honestly thought falling on the rocks was some kind of code word for "I caught more fish than a man should be allowed in a day".

Never went in too deep and got water down the front of my waters either.

Most of all, never heard that loud crack sound and seen half of my fly rod floating in the river while the other half was in my hand.

Nope, never had any of those experiences.

Every one of my trips to the water (and everyone else who posts here, I 'm sure) is the perfect day fishing. Never had a bad day fishing. I thought everyone had 50 trout days when they went fishing.

Wow, now I'm confused. You mean people actually do fall on the rocks for real and there are guys who really don't catch 50+ fish everytime they get to the water?

Gee, I'm sorry, I'll have to be more careful how I say things in the future.

Jeff

(OK, yes, I have seen half of my rod in the creek and yes, it did necessitate a return to Winston to have it fixed, No, I don't catch 50 fish everytime, and I do have first hand (well first butt) experience in what cold water spilling down the back of my waders feels like).

Sorry you had a bad day but the next time WILL BE BETTER.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks guys you sure make a guy feel better well except fot Jeff
As I said in the above post I would be taking my wife out for her first day on the water. After 10+ yrs together she caved in to the fly fishing bug. She had a great day, she was casting well with only few hang ups, the more she relaxed the better she got. She had a lot of hook-ups and hits but was unable to bring any to hand. But to my surprise she did not get disappointed. On the way home she was talking of buying her own rod (I've got her) With 3 boys to raise (4 counting me) she understands that she has to join in and she has always loved hiking and camping and fishing, so it was only natural. I thank God for that women!!

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy
Old 10-24-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
Thanks guys you sure make a guy feel better well except fot Jeff
As I said in the above post I would be taking my wife out for her first day on the water. After 10+ yrs together she caved in to the fly fishing bug. She had a great day, she was casting well with only few hang ups, the more she relaxed the better she got. She had a lot of hook-ups and hits but was unable to bring any to hand. But to my surprise she did not get disappointed. On the way home she was talking of buying her own rod (I've got her) With 3 boys to raise (4 counting me) she understands that she has to join in and she has always loved hiking and camping and fishing, so it was only natural. I thank God for that women!!
Gypsy,
Always glad to cheer a fellow fisher up

Great news on the wife fishing. My loving bride of nearly 26 loooong, err, I mean, wonderful years has absolutely no interest in fishing.

But, my 13 year old son LOVES to fish so all is not lost in the Jeff household.

Now, go buy you wife a new rod and reel outfit before she changes her mind.

Jeff