Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-25-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Caney Today

Went down to Betty's Island around 8:30 and fished a muddler for a while, but I think I was a couple of hours late. Started fishing a Orange EHC with a ZM Dropper and got a couple of good strikes. The second strike was really hard and my knot wasn't that good and my line broke. I forgot to bring extra leader and my leader was way too short, so I left. From now on, I will have two of everything with me. The guy to my right caught three nice ones while I was there. His presentation was better than mine, but I did get mine going well after a while. He was fishing streamers. The one hard strike that I got was on retrievel while my dry was under water, so it seemed that streamers was the way to go. I tried a wooly bugger (brown with some flash tinsel?) and didn't have any luck. A guy at the local shop said to go with Zebra Midges on a dead drift, but I had tried that as well and no luck. It seemed the one guy catching fish was fishing some sort of streamer, but I would htink the pro knows what he's talking about. There was a light rain with an overcast sky for a bit and the rest of the time it was just cloudy. The fish really came on in the rain, but there were jumpers all day until we left at 11:30. I didn't see a hatch, but there must have been one with all of the jumping and rising. Then it died off and I figured the party was over. Besides, I had let water get into my waders, so I was freezing cold (will bring a change of clothes next time as well).
Old 10-25-2008, 06:48 PM

I noticed you said that it was overcast. Just curious, will a trout comeup to the surface more readily on a overcast sky rather than a clear bluebird day. Just asking as I am new to the fly fishing for trout. Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 PM

I'm probably the worst fly fisherman on here! lol. I don't know if they will rise more on cloudy days. It seems that way to me. I do know for certain that they are more active soon after it starts raining or sprinkling.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Default streamers

hey brf with the current going on you would need a beadhead or a weighted wolly bugger to get it down... try dead drifting the bugger then stripping it back ...or just try a stripping method .. there is no rule of thumb as to which way to strip.. just try differant retrives till you get a strike and remember dont stop stripping.... when you get a hit the fish will follow and grab the fly.... also try olive next time with a little crystal flash in it ...hope this helps a little bit for your next outing...i will be on the caney sunday morning probably start at bettys island in the am if its not to cold .... but will for sure be up by the dam fishing below the steps after generation ....if you want to hook up and fish sometime let me know im usally off sunday and wed ....
Old 10-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Will do. I'll add you to my "Friends" (I wish I had known about that function sooner. I got a lot of invites in the begining, but forget who they were!) Yea, I was using brown with some crystal flash. They hit my dry orange EHC when I was stripping it in to recast (it was underwater at the time). Maybe try an orange streamer of some sort (Tellico?) or maybe an orange crackle back.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:37 PM

I went down to Kirby lane this morning at 7am. The sky was overcast and no sun was hitting the water. I fished for about an 40 minutes with a red with silver wire #20 zebra midge. Not one single bite. I only saw 3 fish jump or rise the entire time. Then I tied on an all white woolly which usually works pretty well. I threw it for about 20 minutes without anything even looking at it. At 8:00am two things happened. I got the woolly stuck in some brush on a back cast and the TNT hot wings from last night started to kick in. Note to self, never eat the super spicy hot wings if you are going on the river the next morning. At that point I knew to call it what it was, a poor fishing experience. I decided to pack it up and head home. If I was in my 20s I would have stayed for another 3 hours and maybe would have caught 1 fish. I'm old enough now to know when to fold'em. Tomorrow is another day and I only have to get through 5 more days of work before it is Saturday again and time to hit the river.....this time without the hot wings in my gut.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:42 PM

Heyski,

I would have done the same, but I was working on my cast tempo and the guy next to me seemed to be doing o.k, so I watched him as much as I could without freaking him out. I learned a lot today, so it was a good day for me...For instance; If you walk to the middle of the river, have a point directly behind you that tells you what azimuth you went out on because coming back a different way, when you can't see the bottom, can be scary. I took a lot of small steps coming back to the bank. Overcast skies makes for some tricky travel on the river. I also learned that proper tempo is key to a good cast. I also learned that mudlers etc should be fished around sunrise or sunset or while it's dark. I also learned that I may want to fly fish alone more because my fishing buddy always leaves too early and lastly: If too much water gets inside your waders, it can get cold in the Fall of the year.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:31 PM

Default Caney Fork

I have alway's fished the White River this time of year but the water is so high that the fishing is really tough. I would like to try Caney Fork but know nothing about it. Where would be a good starting point for a newcomer? Where is the closest place to stay a night or two?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 PM

We dead drifted midges all day on the bottom, couple of happy guys at the end of the day, talked to a couple of folks using buggers, they did OK.

Grumpy
Old 10-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYCASTER14 View Post
I have alway's fished the White River this time of year but the water is so high that the fishing is really tough. I would like to try Caney Fork but know nothing about it. Where would be a good starting point for a newcomer? Where is the closest place to stay a night or two?
I would start under the dam or at Happy Hollow. Those places are always packed, but for a reason. Back in August I fished Happy Hollow and it was insane how many strikes I was getting. If I tried hard enough, I bet I could walk on the backs of all the brook trout to the other bank it was THAT full of brookies. They were fiesty, too.

There are a few lodges on the river, but those tend to be pricey and booked months in advance. There is a campground right below the dam, and if you don't mind camping then it's a great way to stay around the river. But the closest city is probably Lebanon, a 30 minute drive or so, if you're looking for hotels.